DBI and DBI::Oracle packages configuration

Discussion in 'Perl' started by ulloa, Jul 22, 2004.

  1. ulloa

    ulloa Guest

    Hi. My name is Randall and I am from Costa Rica.

    I have a little problem. I did an application using Perl, DBI and
    DBI::Oracle, and now I have to upload my application in an Unix
    server. The problem is that the server doesn't have DBI and
    DBI::Oracle packages and the owner's server doesn't want to install
    the packages because he thinks that the installation will change the
    server configuration, and that server has a lot of web applications in
    perl, c, etc.

    So my question is:

    What will change if I install DBI and DBI:Oracle package??

    It's possible that the server configuration changes and the other
    application fall down!!!

    In the installation process, what does DBI package do and change??

    It's too important, for me, to know that, to explain the owner's
    server, that won't be a problem to install the packages.

    Thanks a lot!!!!
    ulloa, Jul 22, 2004

  2. ulloa

    Juha Laiho Guest

    (ulloa) said:
    >I have a little problem. I did an application using Perl, DBI and
    >DBI::Oracle, and now I have to upload my application in an Unix
    >server. The problem is that the server doesn't have DBI and
    >DBI::Oracle packages and the owner's server doesn't want to install
    >the packages because he thinks that the installation will change the
    >server configuration, and that server has a lot of web applications in
    >perl, c, etc.
    >
    >What will change if I install DBI and DBI:Oracle package??

    Files related to these packages will be copied to the local perl
    library directory. The installation won't touch overall system
    or Oracle configuration. If in doubt, the owner could set up
    a separate account (that doesn't have permission to modify the
    system or Oracle configuration) with which he makes a "private
    installation" of these modules. In your programs you'll need
    to declare that private library directory then with 'use lib'.

    See the documentation you get with "perldoc -q library".
    --
    Wolf a.k.a. Juha Laiho Espoo, Finland
    Juha Laiho, Jul 22, 2004