DBI and DBI::Oracle packages configuration

ulloa

Hi. My name is Randall and I am from Costa Rica.

I have a little problem. I did an application using Perl, DBI and
DBI::Oracle, and now I have to upload my application in an Unix
server. The problem is that the server doesn't have DBI and
DBI::Oracle packages and the owner's server doesn't want to install
the packages because he thinks that the installation will change the
server configuration, and that server has a lot of web applications in
perl, c, etc.

So my question is:

What will change if I install DBI and DBI:Oracle package??

It's possible that the server configuration changes and the other
application fall down!!!

In the installation process, what does DBI package do and change??

It's too important, for me, to know that, to explain the owner's
server, that won't be a problem to install the packages.

Thanks a lot!!!!

Juha Laiho

(e-mail address removed) (ulloa) said:
I have a little problem. I did an application using Perl, DBI and
DBI::Oracle, and now I have to upload my application in an Unix
server. The problem is that the server doesn't have DBI and
DBI::Oracle packages and the owner's server doesn't want to install
the packages because he thinks that the installation will change the
server configuration, and that server has a lot of web applications in
perl, c, etc.

What will change if I install DBI and DBI:Oracle package??

Files related to these packages will be copied to the local perl
library directory. The installation won't touch overall system
or Oracle configuration. If in doubt, the owner could set up
a separate account (that doesn't have permission to modify the
system or Oracle configuration) with which he makes a "private
installation" of these modules. In your programs you'll need
to declare that private library directory then with 'use lib'.

See the documentation you get with "perldoc -q library".