DBI and MS SQL 2000 Server - Where to start?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Bob, Jun 11, 2005.

  1. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Reposting this, 'cause none of the air-heads on perl.dbi.users could
    even be bothered to answer this:

    Ok, I am trying to write code on win32 platform to access MS SQL 2000
    server. Portability is not really an issue today, but I have decided to
    go down the DBI road, just in case. I imagine writing a large Perl/SQL
    Server toolkit in perl.

    So DBI interface is all I hear about. But what is he DBD that I should
    use to acess MS SQL 2000 (and soon 2005) servers? Any of you chaps got
    a choice recomendation. It seems to me that there are least three

    1. DBI::ADO
    2. DBI::Sybase - with some FREETDS stuff (or is this just for *NIX?)
    3: DBI::ODBC - ADO must be better right?

    and there are probably even more. I would like to hear from someone
    who has done a lot of this before. BTW; I also do a lot of OLE/SQL-DMO
    stuff with perl, but the DBI is a new area for me.

    Bob, Jun 11, 2005

  2. Hello Bob,

    Bob wrote:

    [snip]

    > a choice recomendation. It seems to me that there are least three
    >
    > 1. DBI::ADO
    > 2. DBI::Sybase - with some FREETDS stuff (or is this just for *NIX?)
    > 3: DBI::ODBC - ADO must be better right?

    I use DBI::ODBC to connect to MS SQL Servers.

    regards,
    Reinhard

    Reinhard Pagitsch, Jun 14, 2005