DBI doesn't seem to install correctly on CentOS

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Xeno Campanoli, Jan 4, 2008.

  1. I tried installing with the old tarfile sequence using setup.rb, as I
    couldn't get gems to work and there is apparently no yum install on
    CentOS. When I went through the sequence found on
    http://www.kitebird.com/articles/ruby-dbi.html#TOC_3, and then tried the
    simple.rb script, I got:

    % ruby simple.rb
    /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/dbi.rb:344:in 'load_driver': Could not load
    driver (no such file to load -- mysql) (DBI::InterfaceError)
    from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/dbi.rb:227:in '_get_full_driver'
    from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/dbi.rb:213:in 'connect'
    from simple.rb:9

    I presume I'm using old instructions or incomplete ones. Does anyone
    have a more recent set of instructions, or can someone fill in my gap?

    Sincerely, Xeno

    --
    The only sustainable organizing methods focus not on scale,
    but on good design of the functional unit,

    Xeno Campanoli, Jan 4, 2008

  2. Try this to use DBI with MySQL:

    ruby setup.rb config --with=dbi,dbd_mysql

    Regards,
    ch0wda

    Joshua Schairbaum, Jan 4, 2008

  3. Xeno Campanoli

    Guest

    On 4 Jan, 20:32, Joshua Schairbaum <>
    wrote:
    > Try this to use DBI with MySQL:
    >
    > ruby setup.rb config --with=dbi,dbd_mysql
    >
    > Regards,
    > ch0wda
    >
    > On Jan 4, 2008, at 3:19 PM, Xeno Campanoli wrote:
    >
    > > I tried installing with the old tarfile sequence using setup.rb, as I
    > > couldn't get gems to work and there is apparently no yum install on
    > > CentOS. When I went through the sequence found on
    > >http://www.kitebird.com/articles/ruby-dbi.html#TOC_3, and then
    > > tried the
    > > simple.rb script, I got:

    > > % ruby simple.rb
    > > /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/dbi.rb:344:in 'load_driver': Could not
    > > load
    > > driver (no such file to load -- mysql) (DBI::InterfaceError)
    > > from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/dbi.rb:227:in '_get_full_driver'
    > > from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/dbi.rb:213:in 'connect'
    > > from simple.rb:9

    > > I presume I'm using old instructions or incomplete ones. Does anyone
    > > have a more recent set of instructions, or can someone fill in my gap?

    > > Sincerely, Xeno

    > > --
    > > The only sustainable organizing methods focus not on scale,
    > > but on good design of the functional unit,
    > > not on winning battles, but on preservation.

    I'd examine why yum doesn't work in centos, it should do. Somethings
    wrong with the OS somewhere.
    Ian

    , Jan 4, 2008
  4. Joshua Schairbaum wrote:
    > Try this to use DBI with MySQL:
    >
    > ruby setup.rb config --with=dbi,dbd_mysql

    That is in fact what I did, followed by:

    ruby setup.rb setup
    ruby setup.rb install

    and my results were what I described already. I apparently need to know
    the driver I need to load, or perhaps the yum install sequence I need to
    use, or perhaps I just need to reboot. However, your suggestions were
    what I already did.

    xc

    Xeno Campanoli, Jan 4, 2008
  5. wrote:
    > On 4 Jan, 20:32, Joshua Schairbaum <>
    > wrote:

    > I'd examine why yum doesn't work in centos, it should do. Somethings
    > wrong with the OS somewhere.
    > Ian

    Yum works just fine, it's just that CentOS doesn't have a package for
    DBI, so you have to try and install from the tar.gz, and it won't work
    for me. Yum will work fine if you can send me a rpm that works in the
    CentOS world.

    xc

    Xeno Campanoli, Jan 4, 2008
  6. Xeno Campanoli wrote:
    > Joshua Schairbaum wrote:
    >> Try this to use DBI with MySQL:
    >>
    >> ruby setup.rb config --with=dbi,dbd_mysql

    I just tried rebooting also, and that doesn't help.

    xc

    Xeno Campanoli, Jan 4, 2008
  7. Xeno Campanoli wrote:
    > Xeno Campanoli wrote:
    >> Joshua Schairbaum wrote:
    >>> Try this to use DBI with MySQL:
    >>>
    >>> ruby setup.rb config --with=dbi,dbd_mysql

    the file is:
    cksum dbi-0.1.1.tar.gz
    3411302326 155533 dbi-0.1.1.tar.gz

    I also just made sure libdbi-driver is installed by yum, among others,
    and that has made no difference.

    Xeno Campanoli, Jan 4, 2008
  8. Xeno Campanoli wrote:
    > Xeno Campanoli wrote:
    >> Joshua Schairbaum wrote:
    >>> Try this to use DBI with MySQL:
    >>>
    >>> ruby setup.rb config --with=dbi,dbd_mysql

    I have lost the thread at a place in /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/dbi.rb
    on line 297 where the class script is trying to do the following require:
    require "DBD/Mysql/Mysql

    It may be that everything on this install is called "mysql", but I've
    tried all of the conceiveable combinations in my connect call and they
    all fail the same way.

    Xeno Campanoli, Jan 4, 2008
  9. I'm not sure if you need this or not because I'm just getting into
    using DBI myself, but did you install the mysql drivers? In the
    README file, it mentioned that the Mysql DBD relied upon them. To
    quote:

    MySQL
    Depends on the mysql package from http://www.tmtm.org/mysql or
    available
    from the RAA.

    Regards.
    ch0wda

    Joshua Schairbaum, Jan 4, 2008
  10. Xeno Campanoli wrote:
    > Xeno Campanoli wrote:
    >> Xeno Campanoli wrote:

    This appears to fail the same way on my Ubuntu system after I installed
    libdbi-ruby. Symptoms seem the same. I can go into mysql shell from
    Bash, but I cannot use DBI and I get the same "Unable to load driver
    'Mysql'" message. Perhaps people just don't use Mysql anymore?

    > #!/usr/bin/ruby -w
    > # simple.rb - simple MySQL script using Ruby DBI module
    >
    > require "dbi"
    >
    > begin
    > # connect to the MySQL server
    > dbh = DBI.connect("DBI:Mysql:test:localhost", "testuser", "testpass")
    > # get server version string and display it
    > row = dbh.select_one("SELECT VERSION()")
    > puts "Server version: " + row[0]
    > rescue DBI::DatabaseError => e
    > puts "An error occurred"
    > puts "Error code: #{e.err}"
    > puts "Error message: #{e.errstr}"
    > ensure
    > # disconnect from server
    > dbh.disconnect if dbh
    > end

    the failure is happening on the dbh = DBI.connect line.

    Xeno Campanoli, Jan 4, 2008
  11. Joshua Schairbaum wrote:
    > I'm not sure if you need this or not because I'm just getting into using
    > DBI myself, but did you install the mysql drivers? In the README file,
    > it mentioned that the Mysql DBD relied upon them. To quote:
    >
    > MySQL
    > Depends on the mysql package from http://www.tmtm.org/mysql or available
    > from the RAA.

    I cannot read that website, which I see as Japanese. Perhaps you could
    translate. I have installed mysql-server and the shell command "mysql"
    starts and works from Bash. As I said elsewhere:

    > the file is:
    > cksum dbi-0.1.1.tar.gz
    > 3411302326 155533 dbi-0.1.1.tar.gz
    >
    > I also just made sure libdbi-driver is installed by yum, among others,
    > and that has made no difference.

    The implication may be that there is another driver thingy I need to
    install, but if so, the instructions for doing so are spectacularly
    unclear and not the kind of testimony that brings employers clamoring at
    your door. I thought lots of people used Mysql in Rails, but perhaps
    the world has moved on and Ruby Mysql DBI is so badly atrophied that it
    is no longer maintained...?

    Xeno Campanoli, Jan 4, 2008
  12. There should be a link on that page that says "English" which will
    take you to the translation.

    Joshua Schairbaum, Jan 5, 2008
  13. Joshua Schairbaum wrote:
    > There should be a link on that page that says "English" which will take
    > you to the translation.

    Yes, but the section on installation which it refers to is in Japanese?
    Perhaps if you know something is there, can you give me an exact link
    to the English, or paste it here? I suspect you're not doing this
    intentionally, and do appreciate efforts to help. I see no ultimate
    instruction in English on the missing drivers.

    Xeno Campanoli, Jan 5, 2008
  14. Xeno Campanoli wrote:
    > Joshua Schairbaum wrote:
    >> There should be a link on that page that says "English" which will take
    >> you to the translation.

    I appear to have this working now, although I have not fully tested it.
    What I did was install the "Mysql" ruby interface, which perhaps either
    brought in the drivers correctly, or for all I know is used wholesale by
    the DBI interface. Whatever. I'll start a new thread if I find problems.

    Thank you for efforts to help in this matter. I was a little cranky
    Friday from a stomach ache, so please forgive me for not being in my
    best verbally.

    Sincerely, Xeno
    xc

    Xeno Campanoli, Jan 6, 2008