DBI - install problems

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by G. Steiner, May 20, 2005.

  1. G. Steiner

    G. Steiner Guest

    Hello,

    i have some problems with the DBI module for Perl.
    How i can install this module? What I need for install?
    I have read the readme, should i start the makefile in
    the perl directory or how?
    When i start the makefile.pl it will write follow:

    *** You are using a perl configured with threading enabled.
    *** You should be aware that using multiple threads is
    *** not recommended for production environments.

    *** Note:
    The optional PlRPC-modules (RPC::plServer etc) are not installed.
    If you want to use the DBD::proxy driver and DBI::proxyServer
    modules, then you'll need to install the RPC::plServer,
    RPC::plClient,
    Storable and Net::Daemon modules. The CPAN Bundle::DBI may help
    you.
    You can install them any time after installing the DBI.
    You do *not* need these modules for typical DBI usage.

    Optional modules are available from any CPAN mirror, in particular
    http://search.cpan.org/
    http://www.perl.com/CPAN/modules/by-module
    http://www.perl.org/CPAN/modules/by-module
    ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/languages/perl/CPAN/modules/by-module

    *** You're using Microsoft Visual C++ compiler but the LIB and INCLUDE
    environme
    nt
    variables are not both set. If you have 'unresolved external
    symbol'
    errors during linking, run the vcvars32.bat batch file to set up
    your
    LIB and INCLUDE environment variables, and try again.
    A copy of vcvars32.bat can typically be found in the following
    directories under your Visual Studio install directory:
    Visual C++ 6.0: vc98\bin
    Visual Studio .NET: vc7\bin

    Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_01basics.t
    Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_02dbidrv.t
    Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_03handle.t
    Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_04mods.t
    Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_05thrclone.t (use
    threads)
    Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_06attrs.t
    Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_07kids.t
    Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_08keeperr.t
    Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_09trace.t
    Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_10examp.t
    Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_11fetch.t
    Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_14utf8.t
    Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_15array.t
    Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_20meta.t
    Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_30subclass.t
    Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_40profile.t
    Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_41prof_dump.t
    Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_42prof_data.t
    Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_50dbm.t
    Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_60preparse.t
    Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_80proxy.t

    Warning: By default new modules are installed into your 'site_lib'
    directories. Since site_lib directories come after the normal
    library
    directories you must delete old DBI files and directories from
    your
    'privlib' and 'archlib' directories and their auto
    subdirectories.

    Reinstall DBI and your DBD::* drivers after deleting the old
    directories.

    Here's a list of probable old files and directories:

    C:/Perl/lib/DBI.pm

    I see you're using perl 5.008004 on MSWin32-x86-multi-thread, okay.
    Remember to actually *read* the README file!
    Use 'make' to build the software (dmake or nmake on Windows).
    Then 'make test' to execute self tests.
    Then 'make install' to install the DBI and then delete this working
    directory before unpacking and building any DBD::* drivers.

    Windows users need to use the correct make command.
    That may be nmake or dmake depending on which Perl you are using.
    If using the Win32 ActiveState build then it is recommended that
    you
    use the ppm utility to fetch and install a prebuilt DBI instead.

    Writing Makefile for DBI

    this is all, can someone help me? When you dont understand me, sorry,
    my engish is not good :) thanks for reading,

    bye
    G. Steiner, May 20, 2005

  2. G. Steiner

    G. Steiner Guest

    Problem solved, thx
    G. Steiner, May 20, 2005

  3. G. Steiner

    Sisyphus Guest

    "G. Steiner" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > i have some problems with the DBI module for Perl.
    > How i can install this module? What I need for install?
    > I have read the readme, should i start the makefile in
    > the perl directory or how?
    > When i start the makefile.pl it will write follow:

    ---
    [snip] I don't think there's anything there to worry about.

    > *** You're using Microsoft Visual C++ compiler but the LIB and INCLUDE
    > environme
    > nt
    > variables are not both set. If you have 'unresolved external
    > symbol'
    > errors during linking, run the vcvars32.bat batch file to set up
    > your
    > LIB and INCLUDE environment variables, and try again.

    Yep - make sure you run that batch file before building the module. Which
    compiler do you have - 6.0 or 7 (.NET) ?

    > A copy of vcvars32.bat can typically be found in the following
    > directories under your Visual Studio install directory:
    > Visual C++ 6.0: vc98\bin
    > Visual Studio .NET: vc7\bin
    >
    > Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_01basics.t
    > Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_02dbidrv.t
    > Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_03handle.t
    > Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_04mods.t
    > Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_05thrclone.t (use
    > threads)
    > Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_06attrs.t
    > Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_07kids.t
    > Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_08keeperr.t
    > Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_09trace.t
    > Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_10examp.t
    > Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_11fetch.t
    > Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_14utf8.t
    > Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_15array.t
    > Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_20meta.t
    > Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_30subclass.t
    > Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_40profile.t
    > Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_41prof_dump.t
    > Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_42prof_data.t
    > Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_50dbm.t
    > Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_60preparse.t
    > Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_80proxy.t
    >
    > Warning: By default new modules are installed into your 'site_lib'
    > directories. Since site_lib directories come after the normal
    > library
    > directories you must delete old DBI files and directories from
    > your
    > 'privlib' and 'archlib' directories and their auto
    > subdirectories.
    >
    > Reinstall DBI and your DBD::* drivers after deleting the old
    > directories.
    >
    > Here's a list of probable old files and directories:
    >
    > C:/Perl/lib/DBI.pm

    Do you already have a DBI.pm ??

    > I see you're using perl 5.008004 on MSWin32-x86-multi-thread, okay.
    > Remember to actually *read* the README file!
    > Use 'make' to build the software (dmake or nmake on Windows).

    You'll want 'nmake' - which you already have in your VC++ compiler.

    > Then 'make test' to execute self tests.
    > Then 'make install' to install the DBI and then delete this working
    > directory before unpacking and building any DBD::* drivers.
    >
    > Windows users need to use the correct make command.
    > That may be nmake or dmake depending on which Perl you are using.
    > If using the Win32 ActiveState build then it is recommended that
    > you
    > use the ppm utility to fetch and install a prebuilt DBI instead.

    Maybe you should take that advice.
    Run (while connected to the internet):
    ppm install http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/DBI.ppd

    > Writing Makefile for DBI

    ---

    Or, if you really want to build it yourself, now that the Makefile for DBI
    has been written, just run (in the same directory):
    nmake

    followed by:
    nmake test

    and then (if everything is ok):
    nmake install

    But I would recommend using ppm instead.

    Cheers,
    Rob
    Sisyphus, May 20, 2005