DBI - install problems

G. Steiner

Hello,

i have some problems with the DBI module for Perl.
How i can install this module? What I need for install?
I have read the readme, should i start the makefile in
the perl directory or how?
When i start the makefile.pl it will write follow:

*** You are using a perl configured with threading enabled.
*** You should be aware that using multiple threads is
*** not recommended for production environments.

*** Note:
The optional PlRPC-modules (RPC::plServer etc) are not installed.
If you want to use the DBD::proxy driver and DBI::proxyServer
modules, then you'll need to install the RPC::plServer,
RPC::plClient,
Storable and Net::Daemon modules. The CPAN Bundle::DBI may help
you.
You can install them any time after installing the DBI.
You do *not* need these modules for typical DBI usage.

Optional modules are available from any CPAN mirror, in particular
http://search.cpan.org/
http://www.perl.com/CPAN/modules/by-module
http://www.perl.org/CPAN/modules/by-module
ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/languages/perl/CPAN/modules/by-module

*** You're using Microsoft Visual C++ compiler but the LIB and INCLUDE
environme
nt
variables are not both set. If you have 'unresolved external
symbol'
errors during linking, run the vcvars32.bat batch file to set up
your
LIB and INCLUDE environment variables, and try again.
A copy of vcvars32.bat can typically be found in the following
directories under your Visual Studio install directory:
Visual C++ 6.0: vc98\bin
Visual Studio .NET: vc7\bin

Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_01basics.t
Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_02dbidrv.t
Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_03handle.t
Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_04mods.t
Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_05thrclone.t (use
threads)
Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_06attrs.t
Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_07kids.t
Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_08keeperr.t
Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_09trace.t
Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_10examp.t
Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_11fetch.t
Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_14utf8.t
Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_15array.t
Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_20meta.t
Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_30subclass.t
Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_40profile.t
Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_41prof_dump.t
Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_42prof_data.t
Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_50dbm.t
Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_60preparse.t
Creating DBI::purePerl test variant: t/zvpp_80proxy.t

Warning: By default new modules are installed into your 'site_lib'
directories. Since site_lib directories come after the normal
library
directories you must delete old DBI files and directories from
your
'privlib' and 'archlib' directories and their auto
subdirectories.

Reinstall DBI and your DBD::* drivers after deleting the old
directories.

Here's a list of probable old files and directories:

C:/Perl/lib/DBI.pm

I see you're using perl 5.008004 on MSWin32-x86-multi-thread, okay.
Remember to actually *read* the README file!
Use 'make' to build the software (dmake or nmake on Windows).
Then 'make test' to execute self tests.
Then 'make install' to install the DBI and then delete this working
directory before unpacking and building any DBD::* drivers.

Windows users need to use the correct make command.
That may be nmake or dmake depending on which Perl you are using.
If using the Win32 ActiveState build then it is recommended that
you
use the ppm utility to fetch and install a prebuilt DBI instead.

Writing Makefile for DBI

this is all, can someone help me? When you dont understand me, sorry,
my engish is not good :) thanks for reading,

bye

Sisyphus

G. Steiner said:
Hello,

i have some problems with the DBI module for Perl.
How i can install this module? What I need for install?
I have read the readme, should i start the makefile in
the perl directory or how?
When i start the makefile.pl it will write follow:

---
[snip] I don't think there's anything there to worry about.
*** You're using Microsoft Visual C++ compiler but the LIB and INCLUDE
environme
nt
variables are not both set. If you have 'unresolved external
symbol'
errors during linking, run the vcvars32.bat batch file to set up
your
LIB and INCLUDE environment variables, and try again.

Yep - make sure you run that batch file before building the module. Which
compiler do you have - 6.0 or 7 (.NET) ?
[...]

Do you already have a DBI.pm ??
I see you're using perl 5.008004 on MSWin32-x86-multi-thread, okay.
Remember to actually *read* the README file!
Use 'make' to build the software (dmake or nmake on Windows).

You'll want 'nmake' - which you already have in your VC++ compiler.
Then 'make test' to execute self tests.
Then 'make install' to install the DBI and then delete this working
directory before unpacking and building any DBD::* drivers.

Windows users need to use the correct make command.
That may be nmake or dmake depending on which Perl you are using.
If using the Win32 ActiveState build then it is recommended that
you
use the ppm utility to fetch and install a prebuilt DBI instead.

Maybe you should take that advice.
Run (while connected to the internet):
ppm install http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/DBI.ppd
Writing Makefile for DBI
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---

Or, if you really want to build it yourself, now that the Makefile for DBI
has been written, just run (in the same directory):
nmake

followed by:
nmake test

and then (if everything is ok):
nmake install

But I would recommend using ppm instead.

Cheers,
Rob