DBI problems: from MySQL to Access

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by joe, Oct 30, 2003.

  1. joe

    joe Guest

    Dear guru's,

    Here is what it is. I used to have my sites run on a UNIX-based webserver.
    My cgi-scripts were connecting to a MySQL-database perfectly. Now I tried to
    do the same thing on my Windows machine. I installed Apache, ActivePerl, DBI
    and DBD to connect to a Access database. So far, so good. Everything was
    going just the way I planned it. Untill...

    Untill some querys weren't handled by the Access db the way they were by the
    MySQL db. Simple select and delete queries are ok, but even slightly more
    difficult ones make the db-connection hang.

    My question: is there a possibillity to use the exact same queries on
    Windows as on UNIX? I tried installing Win32::ODBC but didn't get far. Is
    Win32::ODBC my promised land?

    I'd be really gratefull if anyone could help me out,
    Thanks in advance,

    Joe

    joe, Oct 30, 2003

  2. joe

    Ben Morrow Guest

    "joe" <> wrote:
    > My question: is there a possibillity to use the exact same queries on
    > Windows as on UNIX?

    As a general rule, (more complex) SQL isn't portable between different
    implementations. Such is life with standards <sigh>.

    If it is easier than rewriting your SQL, you could install MySQL on
    your windows box and use that.

    > I tried installing Win32::ODBC but didn't get far. Is Win32::ODBC my
    > promised land?

    Not if the problem is that Access doesn't understand the same SQL as
    MySQL.

    Ben

    47 nodes and 63 links. [ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/arpaprob.txt] *

    Ben Morrow, Oct 31, 2003