DBI problems: from MySQL to Access

joe

Dear guru's,

Here is what it is. I used to have my sites run on a UNIX-based webserver.
My cgi-scripts were connecting to a MySQL-database perfectly. Now I tried to
do the same thing on my Windows machine. I installed Apache, ActivePerl, DBI
and DBD to connect to a Access database. So far, so good. Everything was
going just the way I planned it. Untill...

Untill some querys weren't handled by the Access db the way they were by the
MySQL db. Simple select and delete queries are ok, but even slightly more
difficult ones make the db-connection hang.

My question: is there a possibillity to use the exact same queries on
Windows as on UNIX? I tried installing Win32::ODBC but didn't get far. Is
Win32::ODBC my promised land?

I'd be really gratefull if anyone could help me out,
Thanks in advance,

Joe

Ben Morrow

joe said:
My question: is there a possibillity to use the exact same queries on
Windows as on UNIX?

As a general rule, (more complex) SQL isn't portable between different
implementations. Such is life with standards <sigh>.

If it is easier than rewriting your SQL, you could install MySQL on
your windows box and use that.
I tried installing Win32::ODBC but didn't get far. Is Win32::ODBC my
promised land?

Not if the problem is that Access doesn't understand the same SQL as
MySQL.

Ben