DDD debugger problem

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Ioannis Hadjichambis, Feb 3, 2005.

  1. I am trying to debug my program using the DDD debugger. I have also
    downloaded a manual for the debugger but I cannot RUN my
    program in the debugger. I use the -g flag when compiling. I then write
    to the command line
    > ddd table2

    Then the debugger pops up and i press Programs->Run where it asks for
    arguments and because my program doesn't need any, I don't provide it
    with any and so I check the blank line.

    I always get the following:

    Program terminated with signal ?, Unknown signal.
    The program no longer exists.
    You can't do that without a process to debug.
    (gdb) set args
    (gdb) run
    warning: Child process unexpectedly missing: No child processes

    Program terminated with signal ?, Unknown signal.
    The program no longer exists.
    You can't do that without a process to debug.
    (gdb)

    I don't understand why.

    Do you have any suggestions?

    Ioannis Hadjichambis, Feb 3, 2005

  2. Ioannis Hadjichambis

    jacob navia Guest

    Ioannis Hadjichambis wrote:
    > I am trying to debug my program using the DDD debugger. I have also
    > downloaded a manual for the debugger but I cannot RUN my
    > program in the debugger. I use the -g flag when compiling. I then write
    > to the command line
    > > ddd table2

    > Then the debugger pops up and i press Programs->Run where it asks for
    > arguments and because my program doesn't need any, I don't provide it
    > with any and so I check the blank line.
    >
    > I always get the following:
    >
    > Program terminated with signal ?, Unknown signal.
    > The program no longer exists.
    > You can't do that without a process to debug.
    > (gdb) set args
    > (gdb) run
    > warning: Child process unexpectedly missing: No child processes
    >
    > Program terminated with signal ?, Unknown signal.
    > The program no longer exists.
    > You can't do that without a process to debug.
    > (gdb)
    >
    > I don't understand why.
    >
    > Do you have any suggestions?

    Your program is dying somehow.

    Do not use any gdb extensions and use gdb itself.

    gdb table2
    run

    If this works, it means that your installation of ddd is
    screwed and you should re-install it.

    If it doesn't, it means that your program is linking with some
    wrong shared library and your program crashes before it
    reaches the main() function.

    Inspect your program to see which shared objects it uses
    and then try figuring out which one is faulty.

    jacob

    jacob navia, Feb 3, 2005

  3. Ioannis Hadjichambis

    Michael Mair Guest

    jacob navia wrote:
    > Ioannis Hadjichambis wrote:
    >
    >> I am trying to debug my program using the DDD debugger. I have also
    >> downloaded a manual for the debugger but I cannot RUN my
    >> program in the debugger. I use the -g flag when compiling. I then
    >> write to the command line
    >> > ddd table2

    >> Then the debugger pops up and i press Programs->Run where it asks for
    >> arguments and because my program doesn't need any, I don't provide it
    >> with any and so I check the blank line.
    >>
    >> I always get the following:
    >>
    >> Program terminated with signal ?, Unknown signal.
    >> The program no longer exists.
    >> You can't do that without a process to debug.
    >> (gdb) set args
    >> (gdb) run
    >> warning: Child process unexpectedly missing: No child processes
    >>
    >> Program terminated with signal ?, Unknown signal.
    >> The program no longer exists.
    >> You can't do that without a process to debug.
    >> (gdb)
    >>
    >> I don't understand why.
    >>
    >> Do you have any suggestions?

    > Your program is dying somehow.
    >
    > Do not use any gdb extensions and use gdb itself.
    >
    > gdb table2
    > run
    >
    > If this works, it means that your installation of ddd is
    > screwed and you should re-install it.
    >
    > If it doesn't, it means that your program is linking with some
    > wrong shared library and your program crashes before it
    > reaches the main() function.
    >
    > Inspect your program to see which shared objects it uses
    > and then try figuring out which one is faulty.

    As an addendum:
    DDD and gdb are not topical here. For first aid with gdb,
    you can ask in gnu.gcc.help (it is not quite topical there,
    but eventually everything that does fit nowhere, goes there).
    If it is a problem with DDD, have a look at the DDD web page;
    probably there is some sort of forum or mailing list or some
    other source of help.

    Cheers
    Michael

    Michael Mair, Feb 3, 2005