dde "wait loop"

Ernst Tanaka

I have a question on DDE

I use the following command;

d = tk_call('dde', 'request', 'TOS', 'DESCRIPTION', x.opra)

it seems that the call doesnot always give data while I am sure data is
available.
Tested via a dde call in a spreadsheet.

Could it be that that my program is not waiting long enough for the DDE
response.

Appreciate any help.

Ernst T

Ernst Tanaka

Is there away to do dde calls in a async way and handle them with
callbacks?

I am stuck here, would appreciate any help.

Thnks

Ernst T

Ernst Tanaka

no response so far;

have check on event/callback but sofar nothing.
read MSFT documentation on DDE, no direct help either.

Still hope some fellow Rubyist will give a hand.

Thks

Ernst

Junkone

no response so far;

have check on event/callback but sofar nothing.
read MSFT documentation on DDE, no direct help either.

Still hope some fellow Rubyist will give a hand.

Thks

Ernst

i have been searching high and low on how to use dde with ruby and the
only post i have seen is yours. will keep looking.
seede

Ernst Tanaka

Junkone said:
i have been searching high and low on how to use dde with ruby and the
only post i have seen is yours. will keep looking.
seede

Anyone experience with DDE who would like to contribute to this post.
I am stuck here.
My program runs; sometime I get data; sometime I get the string "N/A".

Ernst Tanaka

A request for senior rubyist to write a DDE Gem.

If you check out VisualFoxPro you see a great set of command handling
every DDE situation.
Trust me; I have check the web -- it really seems Ruby doesnot have
anything close.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/as3e74s4(VS.80).aspx
DDE Functions.

It would be great if the gem could also handle callback from DDEadvise

TK has a limited set of DDE command implemented. Two disadvantages one
you have to load TK for just a limited use; two the Tk DDE
implementation is very limited.

I am not able to take up my own dare. I learned to program in 1980 on
Cics/Cobol and have learned ruby over the last months by trial and
error. I am on the edge of my ruby knowledge.

We have a long weekend coming up; :)

Thanks!

Ernst