Dead Centre

Discussion in 'HTML' started by kayodeok, Jan 3, 2004.

  1. kayodeok

    kayodeok Guest

    kayodeok, Jan 3, 2004

  2. kayodeok

    PeterMcC Guest

    kayodeok wrote:
    > Another Link from my web travels for you to take apart ;)
    >
    > Dead Centre
    > http://www.wpdfd.com/editorial/thebox/deadcentre4.html
    >
    > From the site: "This text is DEAD CENTRE and stays there!"

    As the indow narows, the text does indeed remain dead centre and, to that
    extent, it works; however, the left hand text moves off screen and the
    scroll bar won't move left, so, as a working page layout, I'd have to say
    that it didn't work.

    --
    PeterMcC
    inappropriate or offensive in any way,
    PeterMcC, Jan 3, 2004

  3. kayodeok

    PeterMcC Guest

    PeterMcC wrote:
    > kayodeok wrote:
    >> Another Link from my web travels for you to take apart ;)
    >>
    >> Dead Centre
    >> http://www.wpdfd.com/editorial/thebox/deadcentre4.html
    >>
    >> From the site: "This text is DEAD CENTRE and stays there!"

    > As the indow narows, the text does indeed remain dead centre and, to
    > that extent, it works; however, the left hand text moves off screen
    > and the scroll bar won't move left, so, as a working page layout, I'd
    > have to say that it didn't work.

    Sorry, here they are: w r
    PeterMcC, Jan 3, 2004
  4. Alex Billerey, Jan 3, 2004
  5. kayodeok

    Vigil Guest

    On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 19:34:11 +0000, kayodeok wrote:

    > Another Link from my web travels for you to take apart ;)

    I don't like the idea of working out the box's width and height in pixels
    and altering its position accordingly. What if the viewer changes the font
    size, for example? It would be nice to have it centre automatically.

    --

    ..
    Vigil, Jan 3, 2004
  6. kayodeok

    kchayka Guest

    kayodeok wrote:

    > http://www.wpdfd.com/editorial/thebox/deadcentre4.html
    >
    > From the site: "This text is DEAD CENTRE and stays there!"

    Just don't increase the text size. But then, what does readability
    matter when it's layed out so prettily, eh? ;)

    --
    To email a reply, remove (dash)un(dash). Mail sent to the un
    address is considered spam and automatically deleted.
    kchayka, Jan 4, 2004
  7. kayodeok

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <3ff801f8$0$40215$>, kcha-un-
    says...
    > Just don't increase the text size. But then, what does readability
    > matter when it's layed out so prettily, eh? ;)

    Some times presentation matters.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Jan 4, 2004
  8. kayodeok

    kchayka Guest

    Whitecrest wrote:

    > In article <3ff801f8$0$40215$>, kcha-un-
    > says...
    >> Just don't increase the text size. But then, what does readability
    >> matter when it's layed out so prettily, eh? ;)

    > Some times presentation matters.

    If the text isn't going to be readable, why bother with it at all?

    The site in question seemed bent on showing that text blocks can be
    centered both horizontally and vertically within the viewport, but the
    design is inherently flawed. It depends on fixed text sizes, which is
    not possible. Thus, it doesn't take much for the layout to fall apart.
    Seems like a pretty poor design choice for the WWW. Feel free to use
    it for another medium, though. ;)

    kchayka, Jan 4, 2004
  9. kayodeok

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <3ff82fc2$0$43853$>, kcha-un-
    says...
    > > Some times presentation matters.

    > If the text isn't going to be readable, why bother with it at all?

    It was readable. Just not to you. Sometime presentation matter.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Jan 4, 2004
  10. kayodeok

    PeterMcC Guest

    Whitecrest wrote:
    > In article <3ff82fc2$0$43853$>, kcha-un-
    > says...
    >>> Some times presentation matters.

    >> If the text isn't going to be readable, why bother with it at all?

    > It was readable. Just not to you. Sometime presentation matter.

    I don't imagine that anyone will argue with you that presentation matters;
    in this case, however, the presentation makes it unreadable in narrow
    windows or with the font enlarged and that does seem to defeat the purpose
    of the presentation; form has invalidated function as regards communicating
    the textual content.

    PeterMcC, Jan 4, 2004
  11. kayodeok

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <6I_Jb.9112$9.net>,
    says...
    > >> If the text isn't going to be readable, why bother with it at all?

    > > It was readable. Just not to you. Sometime presentation matter.

    > I don't imagine that anyone will argue with you that presentation matters;
    > in this case, however, the presentation makes it unreadable in narrow
    > windows or with the font enlarged and that does seem to defeat the purpose
    > of the presentation.

    And by all means, the builder should take that into consideration. I
    have never said otherwise. All I am saying is that sometimes
    (especially in the entertainment industry) presentation matters more
    than the possibility that you may lose a few viewers. There is no rule
    that can cover every kind of web site out there.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Jan 4, 2004
  12. kayodeok

    PeterMcC Guest

    Whitecrest wrote:
    > In article <6I_Jb.9112$9.net>,
    > says...
    >>> It was readable. Just not to you. Sometime presentation matter.

    >> I don't imagine that anyone will argue with you that presentation
    >> matters; in this case, however, the presentation makes it unreadable
    >> in narrow windows or with the font enlarged and that does seem to
    >> defeat the purpose of the presentation.

    > And by all means, the builder should take that into consideration. I
    > have never said otherwise. All I am saying is that sometimes
    > (especially in the entertainment industry) presentation matters more
    > than the possibility that you may lose a few viewers. There is no
    > rule that can cover every kind of web site out there.

    I misunderstood - I thought that you were talking about this particular
    "Dead Centre" page rather than in general web terms.

    PeterMcC, Jan 4, 2004