dealing with piecewise arrays

Yaj Bhattacharya

I want to perform the following in Ruby, could someone please help
translate this pseudocode?

1. Read in a time series in a columnar format from an external file
(covered elsewhere in this forum, including for completeness)
given data triplets: time, value, error

2. Check for discontinuities in data:
if [time(i+1) - time(i)] > some_value, then
store this piece of triplet array and give
it a address (say piece_1)
continue reading until another discontinuity is
encountered
store the new piece of triplet array with
new address (piece_2)
until end of file

3. Write out each piece as a separate file with meaningful filenames
based on the time of the array above, so the file written for piece_1
would be called "time(i)_time(i+n).dat" where the time array is a
continuous array without gaps (no gaps greater than some_value deduced
in step 2).

Thanks in advance
Yaj