Dealing with pywin32 on Linux

Discussion in 'Python' started by Benedict Verheyen, Dec 15, 2010.

  1. Hi,

    I'm moving my development environment (python, Django, virtualenv) from Windows
    to Linux (Debian more specific). However, on one app (uses Django), i have a log on
    module that uses AD to authenticate users.
    It's based on the active_directory wrapper of Tim Golden.
    That needs the win32 module but installation of pywin32 fails on importing:

    import _winreg
    ImportError: No module named _winreg

    Kind of logical in hindsight :)

    However, this makes programming and testing under Linux a bit of a pain if you're
    dealing with Windows specific stuff.
    What is the correct way to proceed (i want to keep my development environment in Linux)?

    I could adjust my software modules to use the Linux counterparts of the AD functions
    that i have to authenticate.
    Or is there another way to deal with this?

    Thanks for any insight,

    Cheers,
    Benedict
    Benedict Verheyen, Dec 15, 2010