Dealing with spaces in textfields.

lrantisi

Dear friends.
I have a chat program where a user has to enter his ID in a textfield
before he signs in to the chat.
The user might enter just a space, and sign in.
And he might enter two spaces, three or more. I want to truncate these
spaces from the name before using them.
How can I trunctae all the leading and trailing spaces.
Is there a function in Java that already does that for me.
Thanks

Wesley Hall

lrantisi said:
Dear friends.
I have a chat program where a user has to enter his ID in a textfield
before he signs in to the chat.
The user might enter just a space, and sign in.
And he might enter two spaces, three or more. I want to truncate these
spaces from the name before using them.
How can I trunctae all the leading and trailing spaces.
Is there a function in Java that already does that for me.
Thanks

If you want to remove leading an trailing whitespace from a string just
do this...

String newString = oldString.trim();

That should do what you desire.

crazzybugger

lrantisi said:
Dear friends.
I have a chat program where a user has to enter his ID in a textfield
before he signs in to the chat.
The user might enter just a space, and sign in.
And he might enter two spaces, three or more. I want to truncate these
spaces from the name before using them.
How can I trunctae all the leading and trailing spaces.
Is there a function in Java that already does that for me.
Thanks

If you want to disallow any kind of spaces in user id (like yahoo or
gmail ) you can always add an ActionListener to the TextField you are
using to get the id ......and consume the events whenever user presses
a space like this---- >>> if( keycode ==" " ) event.consume();