Dear All,

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?U2hha2Vy?=, Mar 14, 2005.

  1. Dear All,

    I have tried to access a SQL server DB on on network A from ASP/Or ASP.Net
    Application
    Which is hosted on another network domain,
    Both of them are behind the firwall (all consideraation are fixed,..),
    IIS server can connect to SQL-Servers, using:
    SQL-Analyzer or
    Enterprize manager or
    VB6 desktop application hosted on (IIS) server using ADODB or
    VC# Desktop application,...

    But when the story comes to Acccesing SQL-Server from ISS using either ASP
    or ASP.Net The following error:
    "SQL Server does not exist or access denied"

    Is this logical, is there a way to overcome, this problem.
    I have tried a looked into many links and previous experments and did all
    workarouunds listed on MSISDN, but still the same problem.

    --
    MCSD not .Net yet :(

    =?Utf-8?B?U2hha2Vy?=, Mar 14, 2005

  2. How are you trying to connect? What's the conenction string? Are you using
    Integrated Security or SQL Server Secuirity? Can you connect using teh same
    conenction parameters using Query Analyzer ?

    =?Utf-8?B?Q0JyZXRhbmE=?=, Mar 14, 2005

  3. I have tried all type on connection string listed in the world.
    Including the Connection string used by Database projects on ASP.Net, and
    Data envirmennts on VB6, and ODBC and UDL,....

    =?Utf-8?B?U2hha2Vy?=, Mar 14, 2005
  4. Okay, let's start with terminology. The IIS Server doesn't connect to
    anything other than a network. It's an Operating System. Now, what IS
    connecting is:

    Query Analyzer
    Enterprise Manager
    VB6 Desktop app

    All three of the applications mentioned are executables, which means that
    they run under the machine's System account.

    On the other hand, your ASP.Net app runs under a different account. Chances
    are it runs under the default ASP.Net account, which is extremely
    underpriveleged.

    Okay, now, SQL Server can be connected to in one of 2 different ways:

    Windows Authentication
    Mixed Windows and SQL Server Authentication

    When using Windows Authentication only, only Windows accounts that have been
    granted the necessary database permissions can access the database. When
    using Mixed mode, SQL Server accounts can also access the SQL Server,
    according to the priveleges that they have been granted IN SQL Server.

    So, if you're using Windows Auth only, your connection string should reflect
    that, and the ASP.Net user account must be granted the necessary
    permissions.

    If you're using Mixed mode, the connection string should contain the name
    and password of the SQL Server account that has been granted the
    permissions.

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    ..Net Developer
    What You Seek Is What You Get.

    Kevin Spencer, Mar 14, 2005
  5. Did any of them work ok from Query analyzer, or some other tool running on
    same machine? If not, you have no guarantee that they will work from code..

    =?Utf-8?B?Q0JyZXRhbmE=?=, Mar 14, 2005
  6. To clarify,
    Server 1
    I have SQL-Server only- Remote server which allows Mixed mode behind the
    firewall.

    Server 2:
    And IIS + SQL server,... query analyzer, VB 6, ,... All begined th firewall.

    Trying to establish connection from 2 to 1.
    All connnections success Except ASP.Net/ASP
    The connection string: all are baesd on (IP,Port) and (UID,PWD)(SQL User on
    Server1), and other requiered parameters,...

    This is may simplyfy the story>

    =?Utf-8?B?U2hha2Vy?=, Mar 14, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?U2hha2Vy?=

    Michael C# Guest

    Post your connection string.

    Michael C#, Mar 14, 2005
  8. Please check my last response to Keiven.

    =?Utf-8?B?U2hha2Vy?=, Mar 14, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?U2hha2Vy?=

    Michael C# Guest

    Let me make sure I understand your issue.

    You have two boxes:

    Box A has SQL Server,
    Box B has ASP.NET apps and IIS

    You can reach Box A (SQL Server) from Box B via Enterprise Manager and Query
    Analyzer, but not from ASP.NET apps.

    Is this correct?

    Michael C#, Mar 14, 2005
  10. Well, if you're still having problems, post the Connection String.

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    ..Net Developer
    What You Seek Is What You Get.

    Kevin Spencer, Mar 14, 2005
  11. "Driver={SQL
    Server;Server=IP;Address=IP,port;Network=DBNETLIB;Database=DBNAME;Uid=sqlLogin;Pwd=pppp"
    or

    "DSN=DSNNAme;UID=sqlLogin;PWD=pppp"

    or

    "Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist Security
    Info=False;User ID=sqllogin;Data Source=tcp:ip,port;Pwd=ppp"

    or
    "Provider=MSDASQL.1;Password=ppp;Persist Security Info=True;User
    ID=sqllogin;Data Source=IP,port;Initial Catalog=DBNAme

    Ther is still many

    =?Utf-8?B?U2hha2Vy?=, Mar 14, 2005
  12. Exactly ,
    note both of them is on separate network, and each one behind it's firewall.

    =?Utf-8?B?U2hha2Vy?=, Mar 14, 2005
  13. Please check My first response above to Michael C#"

    =?Utf-8?B?U2hha2Vy?=, Mar 14, 2005
  14. It's definitely your Connection String. See:

    http://www.connectionstrings.com/

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    ..Net Developer
    What You Seek Is What You Get.

    Kevin Spencer, Mar 14, 2005
  15. Try Using this in your code...

    Public Function GetConnectionString( ByVal sServer As String, _
    ByVal sDatabase As String, ByVal sUserID As String, _
    ByVal sPassword As String) As String

    ' ********** ADO Connection String ************
    GetConnectionString = "Data Provider=SQLOLEDB;" & _
    "Persist Security Info=False;" & _
    "Data Source=" & sServer & _
    ";User ID=" & sUserID & _
    ";Password=" & sPassword & _
    ";Initial Catalog=" & sDatabase
    End Function
    ' ---------------------------------------------------------

    And Pass the <Server Name> in the sServer field...
    IS THE SQL Server using port 1433 (the default) ??
    Or some other custom Port Number ?
    If it's using anything other than 1433, then you have to pass that:
    as sServer = "SQLSERVERNetBiosName:nnnn" Where nnnn = port number, or
    sServer = "IPADDRESS:nnnn" like "192.168.65.201:1455"

    =?Utf-8?B?Q0JyZXRhbmE=?=, Mar 14, 2005
  16. =?Utf-8?B?U2hha2Vy?=

    Michael C# Guest

    Good lawd. Looks like your connection string from here. Try this one
    (OleDb):

    "Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx,nnn;Initial
    Catalog=DBNAME;User ID=sqlLogin;Password=pppp;"

    If you're using Integrated Security, then you need to get rid of User ID=
    and Password= and add "Integrated Security=SSPI;". I think you specified
    SQL Server security, however.

    "Shaker" <> wrote in message
    > "Driver={SQL
    > Server;Server=IP;Address=IP,port;Network=DBNETLIB;Database=DBNAME;Uid=sqlLogin;Pwd=pppp"
    > or
    >
    > "DSN=DSNNAme;UID=sqlLogin;PWD=pppp"

    This is for an ODBC-style connection with a DSN set up.

    Michael C#, Mar 14, 2005
  17. =?Utf-8?B?U2hha2Vy?=

    Michael C# Guest

    I wouldn't swear to it, but I think if you have a custom port (other than
    1433), it has to be separated from your IP address or server name by a comma
    (",") as opposed to a colon (":") in the connection string. I could be
    wrong on that though...

    Michael C#, Mar 14, 2005
  18. I'll try by tommorow,..

    =?Utf-8?B?U2hha2Vy?=, Mar 14, 2005
  19. I'll try by tommorow,..

    =?Utf-8?B?U2hha2Vy?=, Mar 14, 2005
  20. Shaker,

    I have my old ADO 2.7 reference book, and it does npt explicitly mention
    the correct syntax for adding (non-Default) port number, so Michael C# could
    be right...
    If this IS your situation, try it with both the colon <:>, AND wit hthe
    comma <,> , One of those should definitely work...

    =?Utf-8?B?Q0JyZXRhbmE=?=, Mar 14, 2005