Dear GNN

Thundercat Stevens

And any other dumb site.

Please don't force me to remember my user name AND email address. If I am
in your database, send my user name to my email address when I request it.

Your site, she is broken. Fix her.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Thundercat Stevens quothed:
And any other dumb site.

Please don't force me to remember my user name AND email address. If I am
in your database, send my user name to my email address when I request it.

What's the difference between that and the user_name/pw combination?
Your site, she is broken. Fix her.

Most sites are broken, especially the high-ranking ones.

Thundercat Stevens

With neither quill nor qualm, Thundercat Stevens quothed:

What's the difference between that and the user_name/pw combination?

Erm, with one, I don't have to remember some obscure user name. After about
50 sites, I tend to forget what flippant thing I typed in in the first
place.
Most sites are broken, especially the high-ranking ones.

Hell, all of my sites are crippled beyond belief.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Thundercat Stevens quothed:
Erm, with one, I don't have to remember some obscure user name. After about
50 sites, I tend to forget what flippant thing I typed in in the first
place.

I agree with that and suffer the same problem, but still see no
difference in forgetting an obscure user-name/pw set or a user-
name/email set.
Hell, all of my sites are crippled beyond belief.

I don't know if you are joking or not, but I'll bet the most
technically-correct and functional sites are not among the most popular
on the whole.

Thundercat Stevens

With neither quill nor qualm, Thundercat Stevens quothed:

I agree with that and suffer the same problem, but still see no
difference in forgetting an obscure user-name/pw set or a user-
name/email set.

To clarify, all I should have to remember is my email address, which
doesn't ever change.

I don't know if you are joking or not, but I'll bet the most
technically-correct and functional sites are not among the most
popular on the whole.

Stupid standards! I have better things to do than get anal retentive
about technical details. It works in Firefox, good enough for me.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Thundercat Stevens quothed:
To clarify, all I should have to remember is my email address, which
doesn't ever change.

But anyone could enter your email address as you, couldn't they? In
this case perhaps the "username" really functions as a p/w to verify
your true identity.
Stupid standards! I have better things to do than get anal retentive
about technical details. It works in Firefox, good enough for me.

It would help if all browsers interpreted and reacted to the standards
in the same fashion, yes. Unfortunately, they don't and probably won't
in my lifetime.

Thundercat Stevens

With neither quill nor qualm, Thundercat Stevens quothed:

But anyone could enter your email address as you, couldn't they? In
this case perhaps the "username" really functions as a p/w to verify
your true identity.

Can they also retrieve my password from my mailbox?

It would help if all browsers interpreted and reacted to the standards
in the same fashion, yes. Unfortunately, they don't and probably won't
in my lifetime.

Standards are so Nazi.