Death To Sub-Sub-Sub-Directories!

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message
I find it interesting that the convention is to use directory
hierarchies (e.g. com/sun/xml/internal) rather than a single directory
(e.g. com.sun.xml.internal).

So use that convention if you prefer. The Android build tools at least,
don’t seem to mind.

Zapotec

Tab completion FTW!

Only one problem: the typical Java project directory structure means you
get lots of names with long common substrings. So you get huge numbers
of possible completions in a lot of cases.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Only one problem: the typical Java project directory structure means you
get lots of names with long common substrings. So you get huge numbers
of possible completions in a lot of cases.

Hence the suggestion of mine that started this thread.

Spock

3x7r4vagan said:
Who is "you troll", Bloch? There is nobody in this newsgroup using that
alias. And you were indeed posting using only a small part of your name;
you can't retroactively change that by posting the rest of it after the
fact, Bloch.

Who is "maggot", Bloch? There is nobody in this newsgroup using that alias.

Famous Last Words.

Wrong Paul, or is it "Extravagan"
today, gharriman, or boojum et al?

Your statement is not logical, Paul.
Lew is obviously what is known in the
vernacular as a "computer geek", and it
follows that the suggestion
you've made is extraordinarily improbable.
Absent strong evidence for
such an extraordinary claim it is not
rational to even moot it as a hypothesis.

BTW, Paul.
When did you abandon us Vulcans. And why?
Something connected with your need to spread
your socks, Paul?

From: 3x+rav4gan <[email protected]>
From: "javax.swing.JSnarker" <[email protected]>

.. as just two well identified.

Do we call security for you to leave quietly?

Or would you wave a completed copy of your
form, in excuse?
http://al.howardknight.net/msgid.cgi?STYPE=msgid&MSGI=<[email protected]>

3

3x7r4vagan

Wrong Paul, or is it "Extravagan"
today, gharriman, or boojum et al?

Who is "Paul", Spock? There is nobody in this newsgroup using that alias.
Your statement is not logical, Paul.

Who is "Paul", Spock? There is nobody in this newsgroup using that alias.
Lew is obviously what is known in the
vernacular as a "computer geek", and it
follows that the suggestion
you've made is extraordinarily improbable.

What does your classic unsubstantiated and erroneous claim have to do
with Java, Spock? Or should I call you phlat_Arse, or glyph, or murphy?
Absent strong evidence for
such an extraordinary claim it is not
rational to even moot it as a hypothesis.

What does your classic unsubstantiated and erroneous claim have to do
with Java, Spock?
BTW, Paul.

Who is "Paul", Spock? There is nobody in this newsgroup using that alias.
When did you abandon us Vulcans.

What does your classic erroneous presupposition have to do with Java, Spock?

What does your question have to do with Java, Spock?

From: 3x+rav4gan<[email protected]>
From: "javax.swing.JSnarker"<[email protected]>

What do those extraneous attribution lines have to do with Java, Spock?
. as just two well identified.

What does your non sequitur have to do with Java, Spock?
Do we call security for you to leave quietly?

What does your empty threat have to do with Java, Spock?
Or would you wave a completed copy of your form, in excuse?

What does your classic erroneous presupposition have to do with Java, Spock?

What does that have to do with Java, Spock?

javax.swing.JSnarker

I am hungry. Feed me, Paul.

3x7r4vagan said:
What does your classic unsubstantiated and erroneous claim have to do
with Java, Spock?

I am doing nothing of the sort. I am endeavoring to correct a growing
volume of inaccurate public statements about me.
Or should I call you phlat_Arse, or glyph, or murphy?

I don't see the relevance.

The rest of your rantings and ravings at yourself have been deleted
unread. Seek professional help.

javax.swing.JSnarker

I am hungry. Feed me, Paul.

I am doing nothing of the sort. I am endeavoring to correct a growing
volume of inaccurate public statements about me.

I don't see the relevance.

The rest of your rantings and ravings at yourself have been deleted
unread. Seek professional help.

STANDARDIZED BONEHEAD REPLY FORM

Dear:
[ ] Clueless Newbie [X] Lamer [ ] AOLer
[X] Humorless Asshole [X] Pervert [X] Geek
[X] Moron [X] Nerd [ ] Elvis
[ ] Fed [X] Freak [X] Cryogenic
[X] Illiterate Fool [X] Druggie [X] Pre-teen
[X] Twit [X] Cow Dropping [X] Twerp
[X] Mental Midget [X] Weasel [X] d00d
[X] Tool [X] Weirdo [X] Megalomaniac

I take objection to your recent

[ ] e-mail
[X] post on __comp.lang.java.programmer__________________ newsgroup.

It was (check all that apply):

[X] lame.
[X] stupid.
[X] ignorant.
[X] much longer than any worthwhile thought of which you may be
capable.

You are being flamed because of the following specific offenses:

[ ] you ignored a disclaimer warning of offensive material.
[X] you have no sense of humor.
[X] you have no grammatical skills.
[X] you can't spell.
[ ] you used the word "****" or a variation thereof far too
many times.
[X] you are just plain stupid.
[ ] you have piss-poor taste in music.
[X] you made unfounded allegations.
[ ] you get offended too easily.
[X] you can't punctuate.
[ ] your post/mail originated on FidoNet.
[ ] your post/mail originated on Netcom.
[ ] your post/mail originated on AOL.
[ ] your post referred to the newsgroup/Web page as a Board, BBoard,
BBS, or Notesfile.
[ ] you asked a question of mind-boggling stupidity.
[X] you made a comment of mind-boggling stupidity.
[X] you continued a boring, useless, stupid thread.
[ ] you repeatedly said the same thing over and over.
[X] you repeatedly initiated incoherent, flaky, and mindless
threads.
[ ] you started a thread riddled with profanities.
[ ] you predicted the "Imminent Death of the Net[tm]".
[ ] you asked for replies via email because you "don't read
this group".
[X] you advocate censorship.
[X] you started some sort of crap that doesn't belong in this
group.
[X] you took part in some sort of crap that doesn't belong in
this group.
[X] you flamed someone who has been around far longer than you.
[X] you flamed someone who is far more intelligent and witty
than you.
[ ] you threatened others with physical harm.
[X] you made a bigoted statement(s).
[X] you have a lame login name.
[X] your machine has a stupid name.
[X] you repeatedly assume unwarranted moral or intellectual
superiority.
[X] what you posted/said has been done before.
[X] Not only that, it was also done better the last time.
[ ] your post/letter was a pathetic imitation of
_______________________.
[X] you are under the misapprehension that this group is your
preserve.
[X] you are under the misapprehension that the Internet is your
preserve.
[X] you have repeatedly shown lack of humor.
[X] you are apparently under compulsion to say everything that
comes to mind.
[X] you violated rule 1126: "No self nominations for kook of
the month."
[X] you keep on debating in an argument that you lost a long
time ago.
[ ] you are using a newsreader that violates the RFCs.
[ ] you are using software (newsreaders, etc) that don't
conform to established net.ettiquette.
[ ] you quoted an entire post in your reply.
[ ] you quoted an article/letter in followup and added no new
text.
[ ] you quoted an article/letter in followup and only added ___
line(s) of text.
[ ] you said "me too" or something to that effect.
[ ] after quoting the whole message.
[ ] you posted pretending to be famous. (Only in your own mind, my
dear...)
[X] your post/letter was an obvious forgery.
[X] it was done clumsily.
[X] and was easily traceable.
[X] Pot. Kettle. Black.
[X] you are irrational
[X] you raise no good points in your argument
[X] you have no vocabulary
[X] you are gullible
[X] your .sig sucks because: (check all that apply)
[X] It is missing entirely
[ ] it is longer than 6 lines.
[ ] ...and your newsreader truncated it.
[ ] you listed ___ snail mail address(es).
[ ] ...with a nine-digit ZIP code.
[ ] you included your nickname on IRC.
[ ] you listed ___ phone numbers for people to use in
prank calls.
[ ] you included a stupid disclaimer.
[ ] your pathetic attempt at being witty in the
disclaimer failed.
[ ] miserably.
[ ] your .sig should make your company disclaim YOU.
[ ] you included: (check all that apply)
[ ] a stupid self-quote.
[ ] a Bill Clinton quote.
[ ] a Jay Leno joke.
[ ] a reference to any TV talk show and/or host.
[ ] a set of instructions for something as stupid as
your post.
[ ] lame ASCII graphics (check all that apply):
[ ] USS Enterprise.
[ ] Australia.
[ ] the Amiga logo.
[ ] your company's logo.
[ ] a bicycle.
[ ] ANY of The Simpsons.
[ ] you quoted an ENTIRE post in your reply.
[ ] you started a long, stupid thread.
[ ] you used the word "rule" as a verb anywhere.
[ ] YOU WRITE IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS CAUSE YOU THINK YOU LOOK
COOL WHEN YOU DO.
[ ] you spell cool "kewl".
[ ] you sent an empty mail/post.
[ ] you sent an empty mail/post except for phrase "**** you".
[ ] you started an off-topic thread.
[ ] you posted a "YOU ALL SUCK" message.
[X] you posted a blatantly obvious troll.
[ ] you posted pretending to be someone famous (See "troll"
above).
[ ] you replied to the above message type believing it was
someone famous.
[X] you make no sense.
[ ] you posted/mailed commercial advertisement(s).
[ ] THE FINE FOR THIS IS $50. Please remit a money order
within 30 days or lose posting/e-mail privileges to:

USENET News Standards Bureau
Mid-Atlantic Division
111 Lefevre Station 1
Charlottesville VA 22904-0017

[ ] you posted a phone-sex advertisement.
[ ] you posted a stupid pyramid money making scheme and
claimed it was legal.
[ ] I think you might be a fed
[ ] you didn't do anything specific, but appear to be so
generally worthless that you are being flamed anyway

Furthermore:
[X] you have greatly misunderstood the purpose of
______comp.lang.java.programmer________________ newsgroup.
[ ] you have greatly misunderstood the purpose of
_______________ page.
[X] you have greatly misunderstood the purpose of the net.
[X] you are a loser.
[X] you must have spent your entire life in a Skinner box to be
this clueless.
[X] *plonk* (you wish!)
[X] all of this has been pointed out to you before.

To repent, you must:

[X] stop masturbating [ ] for a week
[ ] for a month
[X] until you actually get some
[ ] give up your AOL account
[X] bust up your modem with a hammer and eat it
[X] cut the prozacs in half next time
[X] No, double it actually
[X] jump into a bathtub while holding your monitor
[X] actually post something relevant
[X] Twenty times consecutively in this group with no drivel in
*any* group in between
[X] read the FAQ
[X] be the guest of honor in alt.flame for a month
[ ] Rmgroup your misbegotten alt.fan group
[X] Lamely forge an article and thus lose your account(s)

In closing, I'd like to say:

[X] get Wrecked
[X] on meths
[X] and thus become blind
[X] get a life
[X] never post again (tall order I know, dearie)
[ ] age 10 more years before you post again
[X] I pity your dog
[ ] consume excrement
[X] consume excrement and thus expire
[X] go tell your mother/father/test tube they failed
[X] And sue the biotech firm that created you for ten million and
donate it all to the Electronic Frontier Foundation
[X] yer momma's so fat/stupid/ugly that etc...
[X] take your gibberish somewhere else
[X] get a clue, you pathetic loser
[X] learn to post or get off the usenet
[X] stick to FidoNet and come back when you've grown up.
[X] find a volcano and throw yourself in.
[X] get a gun and shoot yourself.
[X] stop reading USENET and get a life.
[X] stop posting to USENET and get a life.
[X] stop sending email and get a life.
[X] all of the above

3

3x7r4vagan

I am hungry. Feed me, Paul.

javax.swing.JSnarker said:
STANDARDIZED BONEHEAD REPLY FORM

How did I know it would come to this, Paul?

The mind is a wonderful thing when oiled
with pure thought, a mess when powdered
by 'shrooms.

Switch to twinings, Paul.

3

3x7r4vagan

How did I know it would come to this, Paul?

The mind is a wonderful thing when oiled
with pure thought, a mess when powdered
by 'shrooms.

Switch to twinings, Paul.

Looks like I'm going to have to hammer this into you until it sinks in:

[...]

Michael Wojcik

Zapotec said:
Whereas I recognize the technical and engineering reasons for requiring
the deeply nested long directory names, I also have to say I agree that
they can be a pain in the butt, on two counts:

1. Typing long directory names or click-click-clicking to deeply-nested
folders is a pain, and will be required if you aren't using an IDE
like NetBeans or Eclipse

I often use vim to edit my Java sources, and I don't have to type long
directory names or click-click-click, thanks to the magic of filename
completion.

Not that typing long directory names would be any great burden, since
entering a filename is a tiny portion of the work I do when producing
new code or maintaining old.
2. On Windows, at least, it's not implausible to reach the path name
length limit of the filesystem and run into even more headaches.

Really? The NTFS path name length limit is 32KB, for applications that
use the proper APIs, which seems like it ought to be enough. Even apps
that use the old API get a path length of 260 ASCII characters, which
requires some effort to exceed.

If the problem is your Windows source directories are buried under
some unreasonably long path (which probably also contains spacey names
and other infelicities), just create a junction to it in some more
convenient place.

Zapotec

I often use vim to edit my Java sources, and I don't have to type long
directory names or click-click-click, thanks to the magic of filename
completion.

Completion again. People talk about it like it's a magic bullet, but
it's not, especially when there are a lot of possible completions, which
happens when there is a common prefix (like
src/java/com/mylongcompanyname/mylongprojectname/dal) to a lot of the
filenames.
Not that typing long directory names would be any great burden, since
entering a filename is a tiny portion of the work I do when producing
new code or maintaining old.

Every little bit adds up, and time spent doing peripheral tasks is time
not spent coding, testing, or debugging.
Really? The NTFS path name length limit is 32KB, for applications that
use the proper APIs, which seems like it ought to be enough.

And what "proper APIs" might those be, that for instance Microsoft's own
cmd.exe and Explorer evidently don't use?

I might add that Java doesn't use these phantom APIs either, as
evidenced if you try to use java.io.File/FileInputStream to read a file
that exceeds a much shorter length. (Make a directory with a one-letter
name in a drive root and a file with a name about 150 characters long in
it. Then rename the directory to a similarly long name and try to access
it with java.io ... boom! FileNotFoundException.)
Even apps
that use the old API get a path length of 260 ASCII characters, which
requires some effort to exceed.

Not with Java's long/and/deeply/nested/package/hierarchies...
If the problem is your Windows source directories are buried under
some unreasonably long path (which probably also contains spacey names
and other infelicities), just create a junction to it in some more
convenient place.

Junctions are those funny-behaving versions of My Documents and such
that are in Vista and Windows 7, right? The last time I checked, the
user can't create those, at least not with the default set of tools
available by e.g. right-click-and-drag in Explorer. There's just a few
predefined ones that the operating system creates on installation, put
there for compatibility reasons.

If Microsoft had been intelligent, competent, and capable of even decent
copycatting, let alone true creativity, outside of the
inventing-new-anticompetitive-dirty-tricks department, Vista would have
included real proper symlinks, which you can click through in Explorer
without getting error messages, and which would have been available on
the right click menu: right click, drag, "Make symlink here". :p

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

If Microsoft had been intelligent, competent, and capable of even decent
copycatting, let alone true creativity, outside of the
inventing-new-anticompetitive-dirty-tricks department, Vista would have
included real proper symlinks, which you can click through in Explorer
without getting error messages, and which would have been available on
the right click menu: right click, drag, "Make symlink here". :p

There’s a fundamental problem, in that all these special features like
“junctions†and so on are intimately tied up with NTFS. There is no virtual
filesystem layer, like on Linux and other sanely-designed *nix systems—
everything is tied into that one specific filesystem.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

I often use vim to edit my Java sources, and I don't have to type long
directory names or click-click-click, thanks to the magic of filename
completion.

No, instead you just go tab-tab-tab, once for each directory level.

Bash and Emacs do the exact same thing. It’s still a pain, with all these
levels of directories that contain nothing but another subdirectory.
Not that typing long directory names would be any great burden, since
entering a filename is a tiny portion of the work I do when producing
new code or maintaining old.

I am opening and closing lots of files all the time, so specifying those
filenames takes extra steps, that does indeed slow down everything I do.