debian and python--any potential pitfalls?

Brian van den Broek

Hi all,

I know that this is something for which I could (keep) STFW, but I'm
mostly ignorant of the subject area and under a bit of a deadline. So
I hope people won't mind if I truncate my search and ask here.

I've tried solo and failed a few times to install various Linux
distros on Intel x86 laptops. (The software modem was always the
sticking point.) A recent acquaintance has volunteered to guide me
through an install tomorrow. He's a Debian fellow. I'm not in a
position to have any preferences, so am inclined to follow his distro
choice.

The only area of computing in which I am interested and with which
he's unfamiliar is Python. He suggested I try to find out if there are
any potential issues with Debian stable and Python.

Not knowing much about the details of linux and less about Debian, my
googling hasn't yielded much that settles things. I have found out
that stable ships with 2.3.5. I imagine it should be straightforward
to upgrade to 2.4.2. Am I correct? Any other Debian/Python issues I
should know about?

If it matters, the laptop is fairly new (6 months) but wasn't
screaming when new, either.

Thanks bunches,

Brian vdB

bonono

Brian said:
[...]

Try to ask him to install ubuntu for you. It use the same debian
packaging system(and most package setup is the same as debian) but has
a newer python which is based on 2.4. Should have better hardware
support too. I would say it is a good choice for desktop/laptop over
vanilla debian. You will still get the same kind of help from him as
they are 95% similar.

I use debian when I don't want cutting edge things(mostly for servers)
but ubuntu for desktop/laptop.

Brian van den Broek

(e-mail address removed) said unto the world upon 2005-12-19 00:36:
Brian van den Broek wrote:

Try to ask him to install ubuntu for you. It use the same debian
packaging system(and most package setup is the same as debian) but has
a newer python which is based on 2.4. Should have better hardware
support too. I would say it is a good choice for desktop/laptop over
vanilla debian. You will still get the same kind of help from him as
they are 95% similar.

I use debian when I don't want cutting edge things(mostly for servers)
but ubuntu for desktop/laptop.

Thanks to Robert and bonono for the responses. I think I will see if
he'd be willing to give ubuntu a go.

Best,

Brian vdB

Frithiof Andreas Jensen

The only area of computing in which I am interested and with which
he's unfamiliar is Python. He suggested I try to find out if there are
any potential issues with Debian stable and Python.

Only that Python is "smeared" over several different packages - idle is
packed separately f.ex.
Not knowing much about the details of linux and less about Debian, my
googling hasn't yielded much that settles things. I have found out
that stable ships with 2.3.5. I imagine it should be straightforward
to upgrade to 2.4.2.

apt-get install .... should be about it.

Am I correct? Any other Debian/Python issues I
should know about?

Sometimes I have had Debian Sarge fail miserably on the "install desktop"
option. The workaround is to not install the desktop in the first
configuration pass and then use apt-get intall gnome/kde/whatever.

Paul Boddie

[Debian issues with Python]
Only that Python is "smeared" over several different packages - idle is
packed separately f.ex.

Yes, and I almost guarantee that you'll find yourself swearing over the
separate bundling of various header files in the python*-dev packages.

Paul