debian apt somehow created python hell! - help

Discussion in 'Python' started by watermod, May 2, 2009.

  1. watermod

    watermod Guest

    I was doing one of those auto apt-get gui things with update manager in
    Debian and not watching the error log so I don't know where it started.

    It involves only Python stuff. I don't know Python but apps use it.

    The current apt state is that python apps are failing install in:
    /usr/sbin/update-python-modules

    typical error list looks like:

    dpkg: warning - old pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
    dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
    WARNING: python-gtk2-doc.private does not exist.
    Some bytecompiled files may be left behind.
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/sbin/update-python-modules", line 437, in <module>
    public_packages[package].install(need_postinstall)
    File "/usr/sbin/update-python-modules", line 232, in __getitem__
    self[name] = SharedFileList (path)
    File "/usr/sbin/update-python-modules", line 146, in __init__
    for line in file(path):
    IOError: [Errno 21] Is a directory
    dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/python-gtk2-
    doc_2.14.1-2_all.deb (--unpack):
    subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/sbin/update-python-modules", line 437, in <module>
    public_packages[package].install(need_postinstall)
    File "/usr/sbin/update-python-modules", line 232, in __getitem__
    self[name] = SharedFileList (path)
    File "/usr/sbin/update-python-modules", line 146, in __init__
    for line in file(path):
    IOError: [Errno 21] Is a directory
    dpkg: error while cleaning up:

    on and on and on....
    The following:

    dpkg -C

    gives:
    The following packages are in a mess due to serious problems during
    installation. They must be reinstalled for them (and any packages
    that depend on them) to function properly:
    python-reportbug Python modules for interacting with bug tracking
    systems
    lsb-release Linux Standard Base version reporting utility
    python-ogg Python interface to the Ogg library
    system-config-lvm A utility for graphically configuring Logical
    Volumes
    bitpim utility to communicate with many CDMA phones
    bitpim-lib architecture-dependent helper files for BitPim
    python-glade2 GTK+ bindings: Glade support
    python-gtk2 Python bindings for the GTK+ widget set
    python-feedparser Universal Feed Parser for Python
    python-gtk2-doc Python bindings for the GTK+ widget set -
    documentation
    k3d 3D modeling and animation system

    The following packages have been unpacked but not yet configured.
    They must be configured using dpkg --configure or the configure
    menu option in dselect for them to work:
    acroread-plugins Plugins for Adobe Acrobat(R) Reader
    python-roman module for generating/analyzing Roman numerals
    python-soappy SOAP Support for Python
    python-glpk Python bindings to the GNU Linear Programming Kit
    python-dialog Python module for making simple Text/Console-mode
    user in
    python-biggles Scientific plotting package for Python
    python-gd Python module wrapper for libgd
    python-clutter Open GL based interactive canvas library - Python
    binding
    python-decoratortools version-agnostic decorators support for Python
    python-fpconst Utilities for handling IEEE 754 floating point
    special va
    acroread-data data files for acroread
    python-galago-gtk GTK+ widgets for the Galago presence library
    (Python inte
    python-utmp python module for working with utmp
    python-debianbts Python interface to Debian's Bug Tracking System
    python-gobject-dev Development headers for the GObject Python bindings
    acroread-escript Adobe EScript Plug-In
    python-dhm collection of Python utilities / helper
    python-unit unit test framework for Python
    acpid Utilities for using ACPI power management
    python-sqlalchemy SQL toolkit and Object Relational Mapper for Python
    python-gnutls Python wrapper for the GNUTLS library
    python-xlib Interface for Python to the X11 Protocol
    acroread Adobe Acrobat Reader: Portable Document Format file
    viewe
    python-pyinotify simple Linux inotify Python bindings
    python-facebook Python wrappers for the Facebook API
    reportbug reports bugs in the Debian distribution
    python-ll-core Python modules for colors, make, cron, daemons,
    URLs, tem
    python-beaker Simple WSGI middleware that uses the Myghty
    Container API
    python-xcbgen X C Binding - protocol binding generator
    libroot-dev Header files for ROOT
    python-dcop DCOP bindings for Python
    python-docutils utilities for the documentation of Python modules
    libroot-python-dev Python extension for ROOT - development files
    python-extractor extracts meta-data from files of arbitrary type
    (Python b
    python-debian Python modules to work with Debian-related data
    formats
    python-cheetah text-based template engine and Python code generator
    python-galago Galago presence library (Python interface)

    The following packages are only half configured, probably due to problems
    configuring them the first time. The configuration should be retried
    using
    dpkg --configure <package> or the configure menu option in dselect:
    python-support automated rebuilding support for Python modules

    The last one appears to be a key problem.... reconfigure gives the same
    dam error.

    Chicken egg problem of some sort...
    I can't add or remove anything python with the debian package tools...
    Maybe I could install by hand by a tarball if I knew where to stick stuff

    I unpacked a tarball to: /usr/src/python-support-1.0.2
    but have no idea what to do... I am not a python guy... c, c++ perl but
    brain dead for this...
    /usr/src/python-support-1.0.2# ls -CF
    COPYING debian/ movemodules* pysupport.py README
    update-python-modules*
    debhelper/ hold parseversions* python-support.private runtime/
    update-python-modules.8

    SO!!! HELP ... SUGGESTIONS?
    watermod, May 2, 2009

  2. watermod

    John O'Hagan Guest

    On Sat, 2 May 2009, watermod wrote:
    > I was doing one of those auto apt-get gui things with update manager in
    > Debian and not watching the error log so I don't know where it started.
    >
    > It involves only Python stuff. I don't know Python but apps use it.
    >

    > The current apt state is that python apps are failing install in:
    > /usr/sbin/update-python-modules
    >
    > typical error list looks like:

    [snip Debian package-management errors]

    I sympathise, but those errors are typical of a borked Debian upgrade (usually
    best fixed by waiting or downgrading if the problem is in the repository
    itself, else by manually reinstalling the messed-up package if the problem is
    local), not a python problem, so you'll get better answers on, say,
    debian-users.

    John
    John O'Hagan, May 2, 2009