debian apt somehow created python hell! - help

watermod

I was doing one of those auto apt-get gui things with update manager in
Debian and not watching the error log so I don't know where it started.

It involves only Python stuff. I don't know Python but apps use it.

The current apt state is that python apps are failing install in:
/usr/sbin/update-python-modules

typical error list looks like:

dpkg: warning - old pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
WARNING: python-gtk2-doc.private does not exist.
Some bytecompiled files may be left behind.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/sbin/update-python-modules", line 437, in <module>
public_packages[package].install(need_postinstall)
File "/usr/sbin/update-python-modules", line 232, in __getitem__
self[name] = SharedFileList (path)
File "/usr/sbin/update-python-modules", line 146, in __init__
for line in file(path):
IOError: [Errno 21] Is a directory
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/python-gtk2-
doc_2.14.1-2_all.deb (--unpack):
subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/sbin/update-python-modules", line 437, in <module>
public_packages[package].install(need_postinstall)
File "/usr/sbin/update-python-modules", line 232, in __getitem__
self[name] = SharedFileList (path)
File "/usr/sbin/update-python-modules", line 146, in __init__
for line in file(path):
IOError: [Errno 21] Is a directory
dpkg: error while cleaning up:

on and on and on....
The following:

dpkg -C

gives:
The following packages are in a mess due to serious problems during
installation. They must be reinstalled for them (and any packages
that depend on them) to function properly:
python-reportbug Python modules for interacting with bug tracking
systems
lsb-release Linux Standard Base version reporting utility
python-ogg Python interface to the Ogg library
system-config-lvm A utility for graphically configuring Logical
Volumes
bitpim utility to communicate with many CDMA phones
bitpim-lib architecture-dependent helper files for BitPim
python-glade2 GTK+ bindings: Glade support
python-gtk2 Python bindings for the GTK+ widget set
python-feedparser Universal Feed Parser for Python
python-gtk2-doc Python bindings for the GTK+ widget set -
documentation
k3d 3D modeling and animation system

The following packages have been unpacked but not yet configured.
They must be configured using dpkg --configure or the configure
menu option in dselect for them to work:
acroread-plugins Plugins for Adobe Acrobat(R) Reader
python-roman module for generating/analyzing Roman numerals
python-soappy SOAP Support for Python
python-glpk Python bindings to the GNU Linear Programming Kit
python-dialog Python module for making simple Text/Console-mode
user in
python-biggles Scientific plotting package for Python
python-gd Python module wrapper for libgd
python-clutter Open GL based interactive canvas library - Python
binding
python-decoratortools version-agnostic decorators support for Python
python-fpconst Utilities for handling IEEE 754 floating point
special va
acroread-data data files for acroread
python-galago-gtk GTK+ widgets for the Galago presence library
(Python inte
python-utmp python module for working with utmp
python-debianbts Python interface to Debian's Bug Tracking System
python-gobject-dev Development headers for the GObject Python bindings
acroread-escript Adobe EScript Plug-In
python-dhm collection of Python utilities / helper
python-unit unit test framework for Python
acpid Utilities for using ACPI power management
python-sqlalchemy SQL toolkit and Object Relational Mapper for Python
python-gnutls Python wrapper for the GNUTLS library
python-xlib Interface for Python to the X11 Protocol
acroread Adobe Acrobat Reader: Portable Document Format file
viewe
python-pyinotify simple Linux inotify Python bindings
python-facebook Python wrappers for the Facebook API
reportbug reports bugs in the Debian distribution
python-ll-core Python modules for colors, make, cron, daemons,
URLs, tem
python-beaker Simple WSGI middleware that uses the Myghty
Container API
python-xcbgen X C Binding - protocol binding generator
libroot-dev Header files for ROOT
python-dcop DCOP bindings for Python
python-docutils utilities for the documentation of Python modules
libroot-python-dev Python extension for ROOT - development files
python-extractor extracts meta-data from files of arbitrary type
(Python b
python-debian Python modules to work with Debian-related data
formats
python-cheetah text-based template engine and Python code generator
python-galago Galago presence library (Python interface)

The following packages are only half configured, probably due to problems
configuring them the first time. The configuration should be retried
using
dpkg --configure <package> or the configure menu option in dselect:
python-support automated rebuilding support for Python modules

The last one appears to be a key problem.... reconfigure gives the same
dam error.

Chicken egg problem of some sort...
I can't add or remove anything python with the debian package tools...
Maybe I could install by hand by a tarball if I knew where to stick stuff

I unpacked a tarball to: /usr/src/python-support-1.0.2
but have no idea what to do... I am not a python guy... c, c++ perl but
brain dead for this...
/usr/src/python-support-1.0.2# ls -CF
COPYING debian/ movemodules* pysupport.py README
update-python-modules*
debhelper/ hold parseversions* python-support.private runtime/
update-python-modules.8

SO!!! HELP ... SUGGESTIONS?

John O'Hagan

I was doing one of those auto apt-get gui things with update manager in
Debian and not watching the error log so I don't know where it started.

It involves only Python stuff. I don't know Python but apps use it.

The current apt state is that python apps are failing install in:
/usr/sbin/update-python-modules

typical error list looks like:
[snip Debian package-management errors]

I sympathise, but those errors are typical of a borked Debian upgrade (usually
best fixed by waiting or downgrading if the problem is in the repository
itself, else by manually reinstalling the messed-up package if the problem is
local), not a python problem, so you'll get better answers on, say,
debian-users.

John