Debian: coexistence of debs and gems?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Michael Schuerig, May 4, 2005.

  1. I'm using Debian/Linux and have come upon tough rock while digging for
    rubies. Debian, like most Linux distos, manages installed software with
    a package management system. Ruby as well as several libs including
    Rails, in particular, are available as packages. That's great as it is.
    Nevertheless, of course there are libs that are not available as debian
    packages, but are available as gems.

    Installing RubyGems is quick and easy, but from there on, I'm stuck with
    two problems:

    * Files from gems are installed below /usr where they get intermixed
    with files from regular debian packages. I'd much prefer gems being
    installed below /usr/local.

    * RubyGems does its own dependency management and is ignorant of
    anything installed as debian packages. As an effect, when I try to
    install a gem that depends on Rails, RubyGems wants to install the
    Rails gem, even though Rails is already installed.

    Is there a way to make these to package managers play nicely?

    Michael

    --
    Michael Schuerig Not only does lightning not strike
    mailto: twice, it usually doesn't strike once.
    Michael Schuerig, May 4, 2005

  2. Michael Schuerig

    Friday Guest

    Michael Schuerig wrote:
    > I'm using Debian/Linux and have come upon tough rock while digging for
    > rubies. Debian, like most Linux distos, manages installed software with
    > a package management system. Ruby as well as several libs including
    > Rails, in particular, are available as packages. That's great as it is.
    > Nevertheless, of course there are libs that are not available as debian
    > packages, but are available as gems.
    >
    > Installing RubyGems is quick and easy, but from there on, I'm stuck with
    > two problems:
    >
    > * Files from gems are installed below /usr where they get intermixed
    > with files from regular debian packages. I'd much prefer gems being
    > installed below /usr/local.
    >
    > * RubyGems does its own dependency management and is ignorant of
    > anything installed as debian packages. As an effect, when I try to
    > install a gem that depends on Rails, RubyGems wants to install the
    > Rails gem, even though Rails is already installed.
    >
    > Is there a way to make these to package managers play nicely?
    >
    > Michael

    I'm also grappling with this issue. For now, I'm using gems when the
    corresponding Debian package does not exist. As ruby grows more
    popular, I'm sure this strategy will rear its ugly head.

    Maybe the best solution is to have a new tool that wraps both gems and
    the OS's package manager. This will allow gems to grow while ignoring
    the complexities of supporting apt, yum, etc. And it will allow the
    wrapper to add support for package managers other than apt.
    Friday, May 4, 2005

  3. Michael Schuerig

    Luke Graham Guest

    On 5/4/05, Friday <> wrote:
    > Michael Schuerig wrote:
    > > I'm using Debian/Linux and have come upon tough rock while digging for
    > > rubies. Debian, like most Linux distos, manages installed software with
    > > a package management system. Ruby as well as several libs including
    > > Rails, in particular, are available as packages. That's great as it is.
    > > Nevertheless, of course there are libs that are not available as debian
    > > packages, but are available as gems.
    > >
    > > Installing RubyGems is quick and easy, but from there on, I'm stuck with
    > > two problems:
    > >
    > > * Files from gems are installed below /usr where they get intermixed
    > > with files from regular debian packages. I'd much prefer gems being
    > > installed below /usr/local.
    > >
    > > * RubyGems does its own dependency management and is ignorant of
    > > anything installed as debian packages. As an effect, when I try to
    > > install a gem that depends on Rails, RubyGems wants to install the
    > > Rails gem, even though Rails is already installed.
    > >
    > > Is there a way to make these to package managers play nicely?
    > >
    > > Michael
    > >

    > I'm also grappling with this issue. For now, I'm using gems when the
    > corresponding Debian package does not exist. As ruby grows more
    > popular, I'm sure this strategy will rear its ugly head.
    >
    > Maybe the best solution is to have a new tool that wraps both gems and
    > the OS's package manager. This will allow gems to grow while ignoring
    > the complexities of supporting apt, yum, etc. And it will allow the
    > wrapper to add support for package managers other than apt.

    I have not used Debian, but Gentoo packages could simply wrap gems, so
    that when a package is installed, ruby-gems is used to grab the files,
    and effectively both systems know about the package being installed.
    Its much better than using yet another tool. Of course, this means that
    all interaction with gems would be through portage. It should be possible
    to auto-update the list of gems that portage knows about too, maybe
    another little script could do that. A simpler way would be to just distribute
    the ebuilds for each gem.

    --
    spooq
    Luke Graham, May 4, 2005
  4. On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 03:14:52PM +0900, Michael Schuerig wrote:
    > Installing RubyGems is quick and easy, but from there on, I'm stuck with
    > two problems:
    >
    > * Files from gems are installed below /usr where they get intermixed
    > with files from regular debian packages. I'd much prefer gems being
    > installed below /usr/local.

    A libgems-ruby/rubygems package is currently in preparation (by Daigo
    Woriwaki) and I am checking it out for uploading/sponsoring it.
    There are however some outstanding issues (see your point below).
    See also:
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-ruby/2005/01/msg00017.html

    > * RubyGems does its own dependency management and is ignorant of
    > anything installed as debian packages. As an effect, when I try to
    > install a gem that depends on Rails, RubyGems wants to install the
    > Rails gem, even though Rails is already installed.

    This has been discussed on the Debian Ruby list before,
    please refer to:
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-ruby/2005/02/msg00009.html

    > Is there a way to make these to package managers play nicely?

    The conclusion is, is that it is very hard, but there might be a
    solution out there.

    Greetings,

    Paul

    --
    Student @ Eindhoven | email:
    University of Technology, The Netherlands | JID:
    Paul van Tilburg, May 4, 2005
  5. Paul van Tilburg wrote:

    > Debian Ruby list

    Thanks for pointing me to this list. I assumed there might exist one,
    but never made sure. Now I know and subscribed.

    Re dpkg/gems: as there's obviously work being done on it already, I'll
    be happy to see what becomes of it.

    Michael

    --
    Michael Schuerig Life is just as deadly