    How would I go about debugging into the C++ code?

    Thanks,

    Grant Schenck

    Grant Schenck, Apr 25, 2005

  2. Grant Schenck

    Mark Schupp Guest

    I presume that by MTA you mean a Server-side ActiveX component instantiated
    from an ASP page.
    Others may have a better approach but here is what I do. Requires that VC++
    be installed on the test server.

    Identify the process that the application is running in. Usually this
    involves launching task manager. restarting IIS. noting the existing copies
    of DLLHOST that are running. Launching your app and finding the new copy of
    DLLHOST.

    Right-click on the process that the app is running in and select "debug".
    This will launch the VC++ debugger.

    Open the source file you want to investigate and set a breakpoint (the
    component will have to have been created at least once by an ASP page to set
    the breakpoint).

    Run the asp page that uses the method you are debugging. You should get a
    break at your breakpoint.

    --
    Mark Schupp

    Mark Schupp, Apr 25, 2005

  3. Hmm...

    Yes, MTA is a server side ActiveX object created on my ASA page.

    So, I tried what you suggested but couldn't seem to get it to work.

    - What I did was started the PC.
    - IIS starts running.
    - Went to task manager and checked for dllhost. There were two.
    - Did an IISRESET.
    - No apparent change in the dllhosts.
    - Tried attaching to both dllhosts and was able to but when I brought up my
    source was unable to set breakpoints.

    I also tried excersizing the control via an ASP page (in addition to the ASA
    page) and still no apparent change in the dllhosts or my ability to set a
    breakpoint in my source.

    Thanks, Grant

    Grant Schenck, Apr 25, 2005
  4. Grant Schenck

    Mark Schupp Guest

    After you launched the asp application was there a 3rd DLLHOST running?

    If not the app may be running in the inetinfo process (application
    protection set to "low"). If that is the case then debug the inetinfo
    process.

    Mark Schupp, Apr 25, 2005
  5. Odd... I have an inetinfo but I with that open in the debugger and my code
    loaded, I still can't set a BP...

    I'm running Windows 2003 if that is relevent.
    --
    Grant Schenck

    Grant Schenck, Apr 25, 2005
  6. Grant Schenck

    Mark Schupp Guest

    Does the output window in the debugger say that the symbols are loaded for
    the DLL (you did compile in debug mode and register the debug copy of the
    DLL)?

    We do our development on Windows 2000 and XP Pro (just test on 2000, 2003
    server) so I don't know if the OS has an effect.

    --
    --Mark Schupp
    Head of Development

    Mark Schupp, Apr 25, 2005