Debug component used by ASA/ASP?

Grant Schenck

Hello,

I built an MTA which is used from an ASA and ASP pages. The MTA was
developed in VC++ 6.0.

How would I go about debugging into the C++ code?

Thanks,

Grant Schenck

Mark Schupp

I presume that by MTA you mean a Server-side ActiveX component instantiated
from an ASP page.
Others may have a better approach but here is what I do. Requires that VC++
be installed on the test server.

Identify the process that the application is running in. Usually this
involves launching task manager. restarting IIS. noting the existing copies
of DLLHOST that are running. Launching your app and finding the new copy of
DLLHOST.

Right-click on the process that the app is running in and select "debug".
This will launch the VC++ debugger.

Open the source file you want to investigate and set a breakpoint (the
component will have to have been created at least once by an ASP page to set
the breakpoint).

Run the asp page that uses the method you are debugging. You should get a
break at your breakpoint.

Grant Schenck

Hmm...

Yes, MTA is a server side ActiveX object created on my ASA page.

So, I tried what you suggested but couldn't seem to get it to work.

- What I did was started the PC.
- IIS starts running.
- Went to task manager and checked for dllhost. There were two.
- Did an IISRESET.
- No apparent change in the dllhosts.
- Tried attaching to both dllhosts and was able to but when I brought up my
source was unable to set breakpoints.

I also tried excersizing the control via an ASP page (in addition to the ASA
page) and still no apparent change in the dllhosts or my ability to set a
breakpoint in my source.

Thanks, Grant

Mark Schupp

After you launched the asp application was there a 3rd DLLHOST running?

If not the app may be running in the inetinfo process (application
protection set to "low"). If that is the case then debug the inetinfo
process.

Grant Schenck

Odd... I have an inetinfo but I with that open in the debugger and my code
loaded, I still can't set a BP...

I'm running Windows 2003 if that is relevent.

Mark Schupp

Does the output window in the debugger say that the symbols are loaded for
the DLL (you did compile in debug mode and register the debug copy of the
DLL)?

We do our development on Windows 2000 and XP Pro (just test on 2000, 2003
server) so I don't know if the OS has an effect.