Debug in Eclipse RDT

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Wandering Mango, Mar 22, 2005.

  1. It looks to me as if the plugin for Eclipse is the most useable Ruby
    IDE; but I'm having a problem getting the debugger working. The
    program runs from Eclipse and gives output without a problem. But
    debug results in the following:

    Under the Console window: ruby 1.8.2 debugger listens on port 1098

    Under the Debug window: <terminated, exit value: 15> ...

    Under the Event details window - Message: Ruby process terminated
    because no connection to the debugger could me (sic.) made

    Under the Event details window - Exception stack trace: An exception
    stack trace could not be found.

    Under the Event details window - Session details:
    eclipse.buildId=M200409161125
    java.version=1.4.2_05
    java.vendor=Apple Computer, Inc.
    BootLoader constants: OS=macosx, ARCH=ppc, WS=carbon, NL=en_US
    Command-line arguments: -keyring /Users/blah/.eclipse_keyring
    -showlocation

    I never get to the point where I can step through the program. Any
    help would be greatly appreciated.
    Wandering Mango, Mar 22, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Wandering Mango

    Travis Smith Guest

    Not that this is terribly helpful, but I found the Eclipse plugin
    lacking most of the useful features of Eclipse so I went back to vi.
    Do we have a class browser? Refactoring tools? The source code
    wouldn't auto indent (but I admit I didn't play with it long enough to
    see if this was the plugin or just a setting I needed to tweak). Do we
    get code completion?

    I also didn't get the debugger working on Mac OS X. I never tried on
    my PC. Like I said though I got frustrated and went back to vi. :)

    I hope you get it figured out!

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 10:54:51 +0900, Wandering Mango <> wrote:
    > It looks to me as if the plugin for Eclipse is the most useable Ruby
    > IDE; but I'm having a problem getting the debugger working. The
    > program runs from Eclipse and gives output without a problem. But
    > debug results in the following:
    >
    > Under the Console window: ruby 1.8.2 debugger listens on port 1098
    >
    > Under the Debug window: <terminated, exit value: 15> ...
    >
    > Under the Event details window - Message: Ruby process terminated
    > because no connection to the debugger could me (sic.) made
    >
    > Under the Event details window - Exception stack trace: An exception
    > stack trace could not be found.
    >
    > Under the Event details window - Session details:
    > eclipse.buildId=M200409161125
    > java.version=1.4.2_05
    > java.vendor=Apple Computer, Inc.
    > BootLoader constants: OS=macosx, ARCH=ppc, WS=carbon, NL=en_US
    > Command-line arguments: -keyring /Users/blah/.eclipse_keyring
    > -showlocation
    >
    > I never get to the point where I can step through the program. Any
    > help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    >



    --
    ~Travis
    Travis Smith, Mar 22, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Wandering Mango

    Yogi Guest

    The debugger seems to sort of work on my machine... it seg faults if I
    have the "variables" view open, but seems to work fine if the view is
    not visible

    I'm using gentoo:
    2.6.10-gentoo-r6
    ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [i686-linux]
    eclipse-sdk-3.0.1-r2

    --
    - Yogi
    Developer, www.thoughtworks.com
    Yogi, Mar 22, 2005
    #3
  4. Wandering Mango

    Richard Dale Guest

    Travis Smith wrote:

    > Not that this is terribly helpful, but I found the Eclipse plugin
    > lacking most of the useful features of Eclipse so I went back to vi.
    > Do we have a class browser? Refactoring tools? The source code
    > wouldn't auto indent (but I admit I didn't play with it long enough to
    > see if this was the plugin or just a setting I needed to tweak). Do we
    > get code completion?
    >
    > I also didn't get the debugger working on Mac OS X. I never tried on
    > my PC. Like I said though I got frustrated and went back to vi. :)
    >

    Have you tried KDevelop 3.2 which has just been released as part of KDE 3.4?
    It has a ruby source code debugger, class browser, integrated UI builder
    and so on.

    It probably isn't very easy to get working on Mac OS X though, I use it on
    an iMac running Yellow Dog 4.0 Linux.

    -- Richard
    Richard Dale, Mar 22, 2005
    #4
  5. Wandering Mango

    Travis Smith Guest

    I'll see what version fink has. I try not to build too much myself on
    this system, though I'm not sure I have a good reason for it. My
    debian system is a mess, maybe that's why. I installed the base
    pakages, but built just about everything else from source because
    debian's stable deb's are two years old (okay, maybe not two years,
    but I like using and playing with new technologies).

    Maybe I can find precompiled if fink doesn't have it...

    Either way I'll try and check it out. X11 stuff is a bit slow compared
    to Aqua, doesn't have built in spell checking (not that I use it on
    code, but I most likely should...), and all around just isn't as
    pretty.

    Thanks,

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 23:24:51 +0900, Richard Dale
    <> wrote:
    > Have you tried KDevelop 3.2 which has just been released as part of KDE 3.4?
    > It has a ruby source code debugger, class browser, integrated UI builder
    > and so on.
    >
    > It probably isn't very easy to get working on Mac OS X though, I use it on
    > an iMac running Yellow Dog 4.0 Linux.
    >
    > -- Richard
    >
    >


    --
    ~Travis
    Travis Smith, Mar 22, 2005
    #5
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Michael Campbell

    Eclipse... RDT the only game?

    Michael Campbell, Apr 25, 2005, in forum: Ruby
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    98
    Daniel Berger
    Apr 25, 2005
  2. Jeff Wood
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    99
    Jay Levitt
    Sep 30, 2005
  3. ChrisKaelin
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    295
    Bret Pettichord
    Apr 25, 2007
  4. Andrey Platov
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    153
    Andrey Platov
    Apr 1, 2007
  5. CsO
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    152
    Stephen Anderson
    Jul 2, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page