debug in real time

Aaron

is there a program that allows me to debug a webiste written in c# or vb in
real time?
It would provide me with the list of resources that the website is using.
(varaibles name, type, size, value...)
ie. see what variables are declared and what are the assign values as people
visit the website?

this would really help me to optimize my code.

thanks,
Aaron

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

You can do this in Visual Studio .NET but debugging takes complete control
of ASP.NET. In other words, not a nice thing to do on a production site -
you'd be the only user.

Anyway, you'll need to attach to the process on the remote computer. (See
Debug > Processes > Attach)

For a production site you'd want to write trace data into an event log and
then analyze the results.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...iagnosticseventlogtracelistenerclasstopic.asp

Ken

Scott Allen

Hi Aaron:

As Ken pointed out running the debugger on a production site is not a
nice thing to do. Instead of looking at the varialbes of individual
users, consider making measurements of aggregate statistics with
perfmon.

There is some good, detailed information in the following documents:

Measuring .NET Application Performance
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnpag/html/scalenetchapt15.asp

How To: Use Custom Performance Counters from ASP.NET
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnpag/html/scalenethowto12.asp

Improving ASP.NET Performance
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnpag/html/scalenethowto12.asp

The rest of the guide is a good read too.