debug javascript in a JSP web application?

apngss

Is there any way to debug javascript in a web application? When I
develop JSP pages, and it has the javascript code in it. The problem is
the debugger in Java IDE (WSAD in my case) can only debug Java code but
not Javascript code.

What should I do to debug javascript code?

please advise. thanks!!

Andrew Thompson

What should I do to debug javascript code?

Use browser(s). The more the better, but at least the
basic IE/Mozilla (assuming Windows development) 'pair'.

Roedy Green

What should I do to debug javascript code?

I need local machine capable of running JavaScript. This is Mickey
Mouse stuff that like slime mold that can only survive parasitically
in a browser.

bgulian

I need local machine capable of running JavaScript. This is Mickey
Mouse stuff that like slime mold that can only survive parasitically
in a browser.

Good one. You mean, unlike Java which can't even survive parasitcally
in a browser? Do I sense a little bitterness over the fact that Java's
client side days are gone forever?

Roedy Green

Good one. You mean, unlike Java which can't even survive parasitcally
in a browser? Do I sense a little bitterness over the fact that Java's
client side days are gone forever?

Yes. Everyone has tossed a quite sensible client side solution in
favour of all manner of hacks.

Dag Sunde

Roedy Green said:
Yes. Everyone has tossed a quite sensible client side solution in
favour of all manner of hacks.

Not all of us, Roedy, not all of us...

I'm actually using it more and more...
My company was just bought up by a larger competitor (friendly takeover).
And the Dev. department are extatic(?) about what we have done by
integrating
signed applets as a part of the GUI/general architecture...

:-D

Dag Sunde

Andrew Thompson said:
Use browser(s). The more the better, but at least the
basic IE/Mozilla (assuming Windows development) 'pair'.

If you have any kind of script debugger installed on windows,
set up IE to *not* supress script-errors.

It will then ask if you want to debug. Answering yes, will bring
up the script-debugger and hilight the offending line.

All the (3) script debuggers installed on my machine have
breakpoints, watch-window, immediate window, etc...

When I want to inspect/singlestep JavaScript-code that doesn't
throw an error, I usually insert the statement:

bug.me();
at an appropriate point in my code to force an error.

Monique Y. Mudama

["Followup-To:" header set to comp.lang.java.help.] On 2005-09-29, Dag
Sunde penned:
Not all of us, Roedy, not all of us...

I'm actually using it more and more... My company was just bought
up by a larger competitor (friendly takeover). And the Dev.
department are extatic(?) about what we have done by integrating
signed applets as a part of the GUI/general architecture...

:-D

Yup. My project exists in large part because the company hit the
limits of what could be done with DHTML/javascript.

I have to admit, though, it's pretty amazing what a knowledgeable
person can do with that stuff.