debug symbols VS 2005

Guest

I'm starting up the development server myself and using the "Startup Url"
property of the web project. The problem is i cannot debug. The debug
symbols are never loaded. I realize they are under the temporary internet
files folder but I have even tried using the new depoloyment addin-in but
that does not seem to work either. There is a /bin folder with the debug
symboles in there but it still does not load them up

How can i include the debug symbols so that i can debug this?

appreciate any help

Guest

yes i do. What i basically do is start up the development server myself

webdev.webserver.exe /port:9090 /path:"c:\...."

This lets me go through the program as http://localhost:9090/

Properties of the website has the StartUrl as http://localhost:9090/

Now everything works great when i click on start except the debug symbols
are not loaded. I installed that new publishing add-in. Published to another
directory which includes the debug symbols but it still will not work. I'm
guessing that the temporary internet directory still has something in there
that i need.

VS 2k5 seems to launch development server with debug symbols. I'm at a loss
at this point.

Yuan Ren[MSFT]

Hi Cisco,

Welcome to MSDN newsgroup!

Based on my understanding, your problem is that the debug symbols are not
loaded when you debugging. If I have misunderstood something, please let me
know.
For the current issue, I want to confirm something first. Could your
breakpoint works well when debugging? If possible, can you create the
winform project for testing to confirm whether the system symbols are
loaded?
Additionally, could you provide the output information when you are
debugging your web project? It's important for us to get some details about
your issue.

Thanks, I'm looking forward your reply!

Yuan Ren [MSFT]
Microsoft Online Support

Guest

Yuan,

Thanks for your reply. So you want me to create a winforms app to see if
debugging is ok on my box? Debugging under visual studio 2005 works fine by
default. If create a new web project(file system) and try to debug it works
just fine. This is also true for console and winforms applications.

See what i'm trying to do is so that when i click on start(debug) it does
not start up development server with http://localhost:{port}/webprojectname
but rather http://localhost:{port}. I managed to do this by starting the
development server myself through a batch file. I setup the Start Url of the
web project to http://localhost:{port}. When i start the debug session it
seems to hit http://localhost:{port} just fine but a breakpoint will tell me
that sybmols have no been loaded yet. If i switch back to "Use Current
Page", under project properties, it will hit those breakpoints fine.

I have insalled the "web deployment project" plugin and have used it to
deploy to a different directory. This directory has the /bin folder and the
..pdb file(i'm merging the assemblies). I then tried to use this deployment
directory as the input to the web development server but no such luck. It
does not hit the breakpoints. ( I have also used the directory that i'm
developing under )

webdev.webserver.exe /port:9090 /path:"{path to deployment directory}"

Appreciate any help,
Cisco

Guest

After i sent this out i re-read your statement about the output window. I
kept looking at the build output before but now i looked at the .dlls being
loaded. The temporary internet files said that 'just my code' option was
keeping them from loading. So i turned off debug 'just my code'. I've been
programming in vs 2005 for few whole days... i can debug the framework if i
want to! :)

This seemed to work? I put a question mark because it didn't hit the OnLoad
breakpoint in the master page. I then thought to myself that if do a
"deploy" on the application then it will probably optimize this and will not
treat it as 'my code'[1]( i'm guessing ). I figured something weird was
going on there with those xml files that point to the source code. So i
decided to startup the web development server in the directory that i'm
developing in. It is still working even with 'debug just my code' back on.

I did change the 'Use custom server' to http://localhost{port}. If i change
this back to 'use default web server' it doesn't work anymore. I'm SURE i
set this before and it did not work. At this point i can take it that i'm
going a bit crazy.

So basically right now i have 'debug just my code' on. I have the web
development server starting up on the directory that my web project is
in(file system mode). I have Start Url and have custom server point to
http://localhost:{port}.

So this should be all that i need in order to debug my application through
http://localhost:{port}? There is nothing special i need to do for the debug
symbols to load? How exactly are the debug symbols being loaded by debugger
from temporary internet folder? I guess i should read some more...

P.S. I'm spending tommorrow reading up all the articles on Scott Alen's
blog! So far so good!

[1]
http://blogs.msdn.com/greggm/archive/2004/07/29/201315.aspx

Cisco

"Yuan Ren[MSFT]" said:
Hi Cisco,

Welcome to MSDN newsgroup!

Based on my understanding, your problem is that the debug symbols are not
loaded when you debugging. If I have misunderstood something, please let
me
know.
For the current issue, I want to confirm something first. Could your
breakpoint works well when debugging? If possible, can you create the
winform project for testing to confirm whether the system symbols are
loaded?
Additionally, could you provide the output information when you are
debugging your web project? It's important for us to get some details
about
your issue.

Thanks, I'm looking forward your reply!

Yuan Ren [MSFT]
Microsoft Online Support

Scott Allen

So this should be all that i need in order to debug my application through
http://localhost:{port}? There is nothing special i need to do for the debug
symbols to load? How exactly are the debug symbols being loaded by debugger
from temporary internet folder? I guess i should read some more...

One way to troubleshoot symbol loading problems is to open up the
"Modules" window while the debugger is running (Debug -> Windows ->
Modules). This window can tell you:

a) What assemblies are loaded
b) If the assemblies are considered "My Code"
c) If symbols are loaded.

You can also click on a module and get a symbol status, that can tell
you where the debugger is looking for the symbols.

P.S. I'm spending tommorrow reading up all the articles on Scott Alen's
blog! So far so good!

Cool! Thanks! ;)

Yuan Ren[MSFT]

Hi Cisco,

Thanks for your posting!

It seems the Scott's blog gives you more help for the current issue. If you
have any other concern, please feel you free to let me know, I'm glad to be
of the future assistance!

Regards,

Yuan Ren [MSFT]
Microsoft Online Support

Joined
Apr 20, 2011
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
unable to hit break points, no symbols loading

I am having a similar problem in that a converted VS 2003 (to VS 2010) does not load any symbols. I have tried to load them manually but the option is greyed out. I have also tried specifying the location and this also did not work. I can debug console or windows apps with no problem, so I do not believe this is a system issue..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rico