    symboles in there but it still does not load them up

    How can i include the debug symbols so that i can debug this?

    appreciate any help

    Guest, Nov 19, 2005

    Scott Allen Guest

    Do you have debug="true" in the <compilation> section of web.config ?

    --
    Scott
    http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/

    Scott Allen, Nov 20, 2005

    Guest Guest

    yes i do. What i basically do is start up the development server myself

    webdev.webserver.exe /port:9090 /path:"c:\...."

    This lets me go through the program as http://localhost:9090/

    Properties of the website has the StartUrl as http://localhost:9090/

    Now everything works great when i click on start except the debug symbols
    are not loaded. I installed that new publishing add-in. Published to another
    directory which includes the debug symbols but it still will not work. I'm
    guessing that the temporary internet directory still has something in there
    that i need.

    VS 2k5 seems to launch development server with debug symbols. I'm at a loss
    at this point.

    Guest, Nov 20, 2005

    Scott Allen Guest

    On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 13:16:25 -0600, <> wrote:

    >VS 2k5 seems to launch development server with debug symbols. I'm at a loss
    >at this point.

    Sorry, cisco. I'm not sure what could be happening.

    Scott Allen, Nov 21, 2005
  5. Hi Cisco,

    Welcome to MSDN newsgroup!

    Based on my understanding, your problem is that the debug symbols are not
    loaded when you debugging. If I have misunderstood something, please let me
    know.
    For the current issue, I want to confirm something first. Could your
    breakpoint works well when debugging? If possible, can you create the
    winform project for testing to confirm whether the system symbols are
    loaded?
    Additionally, could you provide the output information when you are
    debugging your web project? It's important for us to get some details about
    your issue.

    Thanks, I'm looking forward your reply!

    Yuan Ren [MSFT]
    Microsoft Online Support

    Yuan Ren[MSFT], Nov 21, 2005

    Guest Guest

    Yuan,

    Thanks for your reply. So you want me to create a winforms app to see if
    debugging is ok on my box? Debugging under visual studio 2005 works fine by
    default. If create a new web project(file system) and try to debug it works
    just fine. This is also true for console and winforms applications.

    See what i'm trying to do is so that when i click on start(debug) it does
    not start up development server with http://localhost:{port}/webprojectname
    but rather http://localhost:{port}. I managed to do this by starting the
    development server myself through a batch file. I setup the Start Url of the
    web project to http://localhost:{port}. When i start the debug session it
    seems to hit http://localhost:{port} just fine but a breakpoint will tell me
    that sybmols have no been loaded yet. If i switch back to "Use Current
    Page", under project properties, it will hit those breakpoints fine.

    I have insalled the "web deployment project" plugin and have used it to
    deploy to a different directory. This directory has the /bin folder and the
    ..pdb file(i'm merging the assemblies). I then tried to use this deployment
    directory as the input to the web development server but no such luck. It
    does not hit the breakpoints. ( I have also used the directory that i'm
    developing under )

    webdev.webserver.exe /port:9090 /path:"{path to deployment directory}"

    Appreciate any help,
    Cisco

    Guest, Nov 21, 2005

    Guest Guest

    After i sent this out i re-read your statement about the output window. I
    kept looking at the build output before but now i looked at the .dlls being
    loaded. The temporary internet files said that 'just my code' option was
    keeping them from loading. So i turned off debug 'just my code'. I've been
    programming in vs 2005 for few whole days... i can debug the framework if i
    want to! :)

    This seemed to work? I put a question mark because it didn't hit the OnLoad
    breakpoint in the master page. I then thought to myself that if do a
    "deploy" on the application then it will probably optimize this and will not
    treat it as 'my code'[1]( i'm guessing ). I figured something weird was
    going on there with those xml files that point to the source code. So i
    decided to startup the web development server in the directory that i'm
    developing in. It is still working even with 'debug just my code' back on.

    I did change the 'Use custom server' to http://localhost{port}. If i change
    this back to 'use default web server' it doesn't work anymore. I'm SURE i
    set this before and it did not work. At this point i can take it that i'm
    going a bit crazy.

    So basically right now i have 'debug just my code' on. I have the web
    development server starting up on the directory that my web project is
    in(file system mode). I have Start Url and have custom server point to
    http://localhost:{port}.

    So this should be all that i need in order to debug my application through
    http://localhost:{port}? There is nothing special i need to do for the debug
    symbols to load? How exactly are the debug symbols being loaded by debugger
    from temporary internet folder? I guess i should read some more...

    P.S. I'm spending tommorrow reading up all the articles on Scott Alen's
    blog! So far so good!

    [1]
    http://blogs.msdn.com/greggm/archive/2004/07/29/201315.aspx

    Cisco

    Guest, Nov 21, 2005

    Scott Allen Guest

    On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 01:13:48 -0600, <> wrote:

    >So this should be all that i need in order to debug my application through
    >http://localhost:{port}? There is nothing special i need to do for the debug
    >symbols to load? How exactly are the debug symbols being loaded by debugger
    >from temporary internet folder? I guess i should read some more...

    One way to troubleshoot symbol loading problems is to open up the
    "Modules" window while the debugger is running (Debug -> Windows ->
    Modules). This window can tell you:

    a) What assemblies are loaded
    b) If the assemblies are considered "My Code"
    c) If symbols are loaded.

    You can also click on a module and get a symbol status, that can tell
    you where the debugger is looking for the symbols.

    >P.S. I'm spending tommorrow reading up all the articles on Scott Alen's
    >blog! So far so good!

    Cool! Thanks! ;)

    Scott Allen, Nov 21, 2005
  9. Hi Cisco,

    Thanks for your posting!

    It seems the Scott's blog gives you more help for the current issue. If you
    have any other concern, please feel you free to let me know, I'm glad to be
    of the future assistance!

    Regards,

    Yuan Ren [MSFT]
    Microsoft Online Support

    Yuan Ren[MSFT], Nov 22, 2005

    ricobeasley

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    unable to hit break points, no symbols loading

    I am having a similar problem in that a converted VS 2003 (to VS 2010) does not load any symbols. I have tried to load them manually but the option is greyed out. I have also tried specifying the location and this also did not work. I can debug console or windows apps with no problem, so I do not believe this is a system issue..

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Rico

    ricobeasley, Apr 20, 2011