debugger: cannot step into <% %> C# code...

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Building Controls' started by Frank, Apr 1, 2004.

  1. Frank

    Frank Guest

    I have a .NET solution that includes C# code and then it dynamically
    adds controls to dynamically created web pages.

    The problem I am having with the VS.NET 2003 Debugger is that I cannot
    get it to show the source for the breakpoints set in C# code embedded
    with the <% %> delimiters embedded in JavaScript and HTML files.

    Some of the breakpoints simply disappear when the solution is started:
    no red dots.

    Other breakpoints turn into red dots with question marks in them, and
    when I put my mouse over them they say they are waiting for the
    executable code to load: "The breakpoint will currently not be hit. No
    executable code is currently loaded at this location." After the code
    is loaded, I next get messages that there is no source code for the
    breakpoint location: "There is no source code available for the
    current location". If I just step into the assembly and then keep
    stepping, if it steps into a C# file, it then shows the source, but
    for my JavaScript and HTML files it rarely shows source.

    If I create a webpage.aspx that is all C# code then everything works
    fine. I just have problems when I mix the <% %> in with JavaScript
    and HTML files I am dynamically generating.

    Does anyone have any clues?

    At one point, I got the breakpoint to stop on a <% %> statement within
    my JavaScript code, but yet on another machine I couldn't even get
    that to work.

    I am definitely missing something, I am just not sure what.

    If I have the same file name used in multiple directories within my
    ASP.NET project, could that be causing the problem?
    Frank, Apr 1, 2004

  2. try this :
    close solution
    remove .pdb files
    reopen solution
    rebuild solution

    set breakpoints

    rply if this worked for you
    Konrad Rotuski, Apr 1, 2004

  3. Frank

    Frank Guest

    That didn't work.

    I even searched the entire machine and deleted every pdb that had ever
    been built for my software, and it still doesn't work.

    It is only a problem with the code within the script delimiters. I
    cannot get the debugger to show source for this code, and the red dots
    disappear once the executable code behind these files is loaded at
    Frank, Apr 3, 2004