Debugging a page thats in a virtual directory

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Tom Pester, Oct 8, 2003.

  1. Tom Pester

    Tom Pester Guest

    This is the simplified structure of my website in IIS :

    c:\Website
    -------> Home (normal directory)
    -------> Engine (*virtual directory* but not an application!)

    I made the Engine (which contains code I use in many sites and thus is
    centralised) not an application because I use application variables within
    this directory.

    This is how I set it up in Visual Studio.net 2003 :

    Solution "Website"
    -------> Project "Website" (points to c:\website)
    -------> Project "Engine" (points to c:\Engine)

    I have to add the project "Engine" because VS doesnt add the virtual
    directory automaticaly.
    (I added it with "add existing project from the web")

    I set my start page to c:\website\default.aspx and started debuging.
    Once I get into a page thats located into the virtual directory where I set
    a breakpoint VS tells me that the source isnt available so I dont get to the
    breakpoint.

    Once I make the virtual directory an application the problem goes away but I
    dont want to do this.

    How can I get the full power of debuging without making the virtual
    directory an application?
    I think I am lacking some fundamental understaning about asp.net and
    processes. Can someone point me in the right direction please?

    Tom Pester, Oct 8, 2003