Debugging a TCPSocket.open timeout

Student Jr

I'm trying to do an IMAP connection. My first target is gmail:

Net::IMAP.new("imap.gmail.com", 143)

goes walkabout on line 886:

TCPSocket.open("imap.gmail.com", 143)

AT&T swears they are not port blocking. My system logs are clean.

The code for TCPSocket is compiled in, so inserting printfs is going to
be really painful. Moreover, the actual error is probably a ways down
the stack.

Ideas?

Joel VanderWerf

Student said:
I'm trying to do an IMAP connection. My first target is gmail:

Net::IMAP.new("imap.gmail.com", 143)

goes walkabout on line 886:

TCPSocket.open("imap.gmail.com", 143)

AT&T swears they are not port blocking. My system logs are clean.

The code for TCPSocket is compiled in, so inserting printfs is going to
be really painful. Moreover, the actual error is probably a ways down
the stack.

Ideas?

What about trying netcat? Not sure that will give more info than tcp
open, but if you have to convince someone, it's better than saying "my
ruby program doesn't work".

Student Jr

Joel said:
What about trying netcat? Not sure that will give more info than tcp
open, but if you have to convince someone, it's better than saying "my
ruby program doesn't work".

sudo nc -v -v imap.gmail.com 143
DNS fwd/rev mismatch: gmail-imap.l.google.com != py-in-f109.google.com
DNS fwd/rev mismatch: gmail-imap.l.google.com != py-in-f111.google.com

I don't know what to expect, so I don't know if this really means
anything or not...

Phillip Gawlowski

Student Jr

Phillip said:
Student Jr wrote:
| I'm trying to do an IMAP connection. My first target is gmail:
|
| Net::IMAP.new("imap.gmail.com", 143)
|
| goes walkabout on line 886:
|
| TCPSocket.open("imap.gmail.com", 143)
|
| AT&T swears they are not port blocking. My system logs are clean.
|
| The code for TCPSocket is compiled in, so inserting printfs is going to
| be really painful. Moreover, the actual error is probably a ways down
| the stack.
|
| Ideas?

Have you followed (well, as much as possible :p) the instructions GMail
provides for configuring email clients for IMAP?

When I used Thunderbird on Ubuntu 8.04 to connect to Google's IMAP, I
had no problems.
Write clearly - don't be too clever.

Funny what the infamous "one more look" can do. They are using a
different port. This nicely deals with the immediate example
problem--the long timeout on a bad connection is going to have to be
handled via shelling out anyway, I guess.