Debugging ASP.NET in absence of VS.NET

Guest

Hi all,

Would anyone guide me how to debug an asp.net file when Visual studion is
not installed? I've installed SDK, but not able to apply dbgclr.exe the way
I've used where VS is present.
Thanks in advance

Roy

Bruce Barker

under tools -> debug processes attach to asp.net worker process. open the
file you want to debug and set a breakpoint.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Guest

Hi Bruce,

The problem is as soon as I attach the process the icon for the breakpoint
changes to the one with a question mark with tooltip of "The breakpoint will
not currently be hit. No symbols have been loaded for this document".
Any idea how to resolve this?
Thanks again

JIMCO Software

Roy said:
Hi Bruce,

The problem is as soon as I attach the process the icon for the
breakpoint changes to the one with a question mark with tooltip of
"The breakpoint will not currently be hit. No symbols have been
loaded for this document".
Any idea how to resolve this?

You'll need symbols to do source code debugging. That means that you need to
build your app in debug mode so that you get the PDB file. Alternatively,
you can build it in release mode but with symbolic information generated.

--
Jim Cheshire
JIMCO Software

Merry Christmas from JIMCO Software!

Guest

Thanks Jim,
Do I need to have VS installed on the machine in order to build the
application? I'm debugging the source code on a test machine that does not
have VS but SDK.

JIMCO Software

Roy said:
Thanks Jim,
Do I need to have VS installed on the machine in order to build the
application? I'm debugging the source code on a test machine that
does not have VS but SDK.

Nope. You just need to build with symbols and then either deploy the symbol
file or have it in your symbol path.