Debugging ASP.NET on Remote Server

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Steve Wark, Dec 13, 2003.

  1. Steve Wark

    Steve Wark Guest

    I have a Windows 2003 Web server on which I was debugging remotely with no
    problems.

    I then moved this server to a different domain and now remote debugging will
    not work, the error is;

    Auto-attach to process '[372] w3wp.exe' on machine 'CSS5' failed. Error code
    0x80070005 (Access is denied. ).

    I have found a number of articles and it would appear that the problem
    relates to the W3wp.exe process and the security its running under. A
    Microsoft articale advised this could be controlled via II6 6.0 but I cannot
    find where / how.

    Can anyone advise ?

    Steve Wark

    Steve Wark, Dec 13, 2003

  2. Steve Wark

    Mark Jerde Guest

    Steve Wark wrote:
    > I have a Windows 2003 Web server on which I was debugging remotely
    > with no problems.
    >
    > I then moved this server to a different domain and now remote
    > debugging will not work, the error is;
    >
    > Auto-attach to process '[372] w3wp.exe' on machine 'CSS5' failed.
    > Error code 0x80070005 (Access is denied. ).
    >
    > I have found a number of articles and it would appear that the problem
    > relates to the W3wp.exe process and the security its running under. A
    > Microsoft articale advised this could be controlled via II6 6.0 but I
    > cannot find where / how.
    >
    > Can anyone advise ?

    I'm having a similar problem on a Win2003 server I just set up as a remote
    server for VS.NET 2002. I followed the steps in "4.2 Configuring a Remote
    Web Server for ASP.NET Projects" in Readme.htm on MSDN Universal DVD 1336 of
    March 2002.

    I do NOT have a domain set up. I'm logged on to a Win2000 Pro desktop as
    user "Mark". "Mark" is a member of these groups:
    - Debugger Users
    - Power Users
    - Users
    - VS Developers

    On the Win2003 server, "Mark" is a member of these groups:
    - Administrators
    - Debugger Users
    - Power Users
    - Users
    - VS Developers

    I created a simple "HelloWorld" ASP.NET Web Application on the server. From
    the IDE, "Start Without Debugging" works fine. But when I "Start" the
    application, I get this dialog box message:

    Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the
    web server. You do not have privileges to debug the web server
    process.

    Contact an Administrator to get the debug privileges on the server.
    You may also want to refer to the ASP.NET and ATL Server
    debugging topic in the online documentation. Would you like to
    disable future attempts to debug ASP.NET pages for this project?

    This is the message in the IDE's Debug window:

    Auto-attach to process '[3384] w3wp.exe' on machine 'HGI-01'
    failed. Error code 0x80070005 (Access is denied. ).

    I've spent a couple hours trying to figure this out. This KB article hasn't
    helped.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306172

    I went all the way through VS.NET help topic "Error: Unable to Start
    Debugging on the Web Server" and didn't find anything wrong. Its URL on my
    computer:
    ms-help://MS.VSCC/MS.MSDNVS/vsdebug/html/vxtbsHTTPServerErrors.htm

    I made myself a member of the Administrator group on the server rather than
    modify the server's machine.config as this paragraph states:
    ASP.NET applications run under inetinfo.exe (the IIS process) or the ASP
    worker process aspnet_wp.exe, depending on security settings. The
    aspnet_wp.exe process runs as SYSTEM by default. To debug an application
    running under aspnet_wp.exe, you need to have Administrator privileges or
    edit the machine.config file for aspnet_wp.exe so that aspnet_wp.exe runs
    under a user account. To debug an application running under inetinfo.exe,
    you need to be Administrator on the machine running inetinfo.exe.

    (Hopefully I don't also have to be an administrator on the Win2000 Pro
    computer. The whole reason I set up the Win2003 Server was so I wouldn't
    have to work as an administrator!)

    -- Mark

    Mark Jerde, Dec 14, 2003

  3. Steve Wark

    Mark Jerde Guest

    Mark Jerde wrote:

    > I'm having a similar problem on a Win2003 server I just set up as a
    > remote server for VS.NET 2002. I followed the steps in "4.2
    > Configuring a Remote Web Server for ASP.NET Projects" in Readme.htm
    > on MSDN Universal DVD 1336 of March 2002.

    P.S. SharePoint is also running on the server.

    -- Mark

    Mark Jerde, Dec 14, 2003
  4. Steve Wark

    Mark Jerde Guest

    Mark Jerde wrote:

    > I'm logged on to a Win2000 Pro
    > desktop as user "Mark". "Mark" is a member of these groups:
    > - Debugger Users
    > - Power Users
    > - Users
    > - VS Developers

    The problem has gone away. For the possible benefit of future googlers I'll
    describe what I did. If an expert would like to explain what *really*
    happened... <g>

    I added user "Mark" to the "Administrator" group. I ran the project (IDE
    Debug | Start F5) and it worked fine. I then removed "Mark" from the
    "Administrator" group and ran it again. I expected it to fail, but it ran
    fine. I rebooted both the Win2000 Pro and Win2003 Server computers and
    tried again. It still worked fine. I created a new ASP.NET Web Application
    on the server and it worked fine. ("Mark" was not an administrator on the
    Win2000 Pro computer.)

    I still have some problems with IIS on the Win2000 Pro machine but I think
    I'll ignore them for now. My goal was to not have to develop as an
    administrator, opening the computer to all kinds of potential problems while
    surfing the net looking for .NET information. When Mark is an
    Administrator, (IDE Debug | Start) causes this dialog box on
    http://localhost projects:
    Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging
    on the web server. Catastrophic failure.
    (IDE Debug | Start Without Debugging) works ok. I know F5 used to work on
    the computer, but that could have been before my recent hard disk crash...
    <g>

    -- Mark

    Mark Jerde, Dec 14, 2003