Debugging - can step over, but not step into.....

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Robin Mark Tucker, Jun 1, 2006.

  1. I have a problem with my web service - I can step into/through web methods,
    line by line, but the VS debugger absolutely will not step into a VB.NET
    method in a library the web service is using. I'm using VS 2005, IIS 5, SQL
    Server Express.

    I have a library, imaginatively called "Common", that is used by my fat
    client (VB.NET Windows Forms application) and also by the web service. This
    "Common" library contains VB.NET classes that are common to both. I'm
    wondering if the debugger is getting confused, because I'm debugging the
    client on the same server as the web service, so presumably the Common.dll
    is loaded twice, once from the web service application location and once
    from the client location.

    Just to add to the confusion, "Common" contains a reference to the web
    service, because it contains a factory class that creates "data connection"
    types, one of which is an ASPNET data connection - and the web service
    contains a reference to common :), because it uses the factory class to
    generate data connections for SQL Server/Oracle/MySQL etc. Perhaps this
    circular referencing is making it all go tits up?

    I've tried going to the modules window and explicitly loading the symbols.

    Any ideas on this?

    Robin Mark Tucker, Jun 1, 2006

  2. Just in case anyone else googles this I thought I would put in the
    "solution". In fact, the solution was simply to ensure the configuration
    properties were set to "Debug" in Visual Studio. I had mistakenly assumed
    they were automatically debug by default. It's always the simple things you
    should check first ;).

    "Robin Mark Tucker" <> wrote in
    message news:e5mebk$hg9$1$...

    Robin Mark Tucker, Jun 5, 2006