Debugging - can step over, but not step into.....

Robin Mark Tucker

I have a problem with my web service - I can step into/through web methods,
line by line, but the VS debugger absolutely will not step into a VB.NET
method in a library the web service is using. I'm using VS 2005, IIS 5, SQL
Server Express.

I have a library, imaginatively called "Common", that is used by my fat
client (VB.NET Windows Forms application) and also by the web service. This
"Common" library contains VB.NET classes that are common to both. I'm
wondering if the debugger is getting confused, because I'm debugging the
client on the same server as the web service, so presumably the Common.dll
is loaded twice, once from the web service application location and once
from the client location.

Just to add to the confusion, "Common" contains a reference to the web
service, because it contains a factory class that creates "data connection"
types, one of which is an ASPNET data connection - and the web service
contains a reference to common :), because it uses the factory class to
generate data connections for SQL Server/Oracle/MySQL etc. Perhaps this
circular referencing is making it all go tits up?

I've tried going to the modules window and explicitly loading the symbols.

Any ideas on this?

Robin Mark Tucker

Just in case anyone else googles this I thought I would put in the
"solution". In fact, the solution was simply to ensure the configuration
properties were set to "Debug" in Visual Studio. I had mistakenly assumed
they were automatically debug by default. It's always the simple things you
should check first ;).