Debugging failed because integrated Windows authentication is not enabled

Dariusz Tomon

I got an ASPNET C# project from client. When I'm trying to open it in Visual
Studio I get error message:

"Unable to start debugging on the web server. Debugging failed because
integrated Windows authentication is not enabled. Please see Help for
assistance" - What could be the problem?

Any suggestion will be appreciate.

D.T.

Teemu Keiski

Hi,

in case the project is on local IIS server, you need to enable Integrated
Windows Authentication on the local IIS.

1. Open IIS Manager (Internbet Information Services)
2. Right-click the web site (in case you run it locally you only have
Default web site) and pick Properties
3. Choose "Directory Security" tab and click Edit on "Anonymous access and
authentication control"
4. In the opening window, uncheck "Allow Anonymous access" and check
"Integrated Windows Authentication" (allowing anonymous can make that you
don't have enough permissions to debug)

After that you also need to make sure your NT Debugger user is on Debugger
users group (and in practise to attach to the aspnet_wp.exe process it also
needs to be admin unless you change local security policies)

sonu

--
Teemu Keiski
ASP.NET MVP, AspInsider

Joined
Oct 24, 2010
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Yes i done the same as told by you.If i done like that when i started to debug it is opening the browser but it is asking for username and password. SO i went back to IIS and done the same thing as u told.but in addition i didnt uncheck the allow anonymous option. Now i am able to debug my project successfully. and the browser also not asking me for username and password.My problem is fixed.

Thanks for ur step by step explanation sir.