    According to all the documentation, the debugger should work with my
    Javascript. Is there a problem with IE7? Is firebug interfering with
    the Visual Studio debugger, even though it's a firefox add-in?
    RuthG, Jun 24, 2009

  2. RuthG

    David Mark Guest

    On Jun 24, 6:39 pm, RuthG <> wrote:
    > I'm trying to use the Javascript debugger, but it doesn't seem to
    > work. I'm using Visual Studio 2008, asp.net, and Internet Explorer 7.
    > (I usually use Firefox and I can set breakpoints with firebug, but I'm
    > trying to get the integrated Visual Studio debugger, which I prefer,
    > to work with my Javascript.) In Visual Studio, under tools - options -
    > debugging - just-in-time all the boxes are checked to enable
    > debugging. In IE7, disable Javascript debugging is unchecked (both
    > boxes).

    Those two checkboxes are completely counter-intuitive. IIRC, one must
    be checked and the other unchecked. Disregard the documentation as MS
    is rarely right about anything (even their own products) and try the
    two possibilities.
    David Mark, Jun 25, 2009

  3. RuthG

    RuthG Guest

    On Jun 24, 7:23 pm, David Mark <> wrote:
    > On Jun 24, 6:39 pm, RuthG <> wrote:
    >
    > > I'm trying to use the Javascript debugger, but it doesn't seem to
    > > work. I'm using Visual Studio 2008, asp.net, and Internet Explorer 7.
    > > (I usually use Firefox and I can set breakpoints with firebug, but I'm
    > > trying to get the integrated Visual Studio debugger, which I prefer,
    > > to work with my Javascript.) In Visual Studio, under tools - options -
    > > debugging - just-in-time all the boxes are checked to enable
    > > debugging. In IE7, disable Javascript debugging is unchecked (both
    > > boxes).

    > Those two checkboxes are completely counter-intuitive.  IIRC, one must
    > be checked and the other unchecked.  Disregard the documentation as MS
    > is rarely right about anything (even their own products) and try the
    > two possibilities.

    Well, I tried unchecking them one at a time, but it had no effect.
    Strangely, even though I had checked the "Disable Javascript debugging
    - other" first, when I debugged it was unchecked. I tried checking it
    again and applying my changes, but I still couldn't debug.
    RuthG, Jun 25, 2009
  4. RuthG wrote:
    > [Problems with Visual Studio]
    > Well, I tried unchecking them one at a time, but it had no effect.
    > Strangely, even though I had checked the "Disable Javascript debugging
    > - other" first, when I debugged it was unchecked. I tried checking it
    > again and applying my changes, but I still couldn't debug.

    microsoft.ALL exists.

    PointedEars
    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Jun 25, 2009
  5. RuthG

    RuthG Guest

    On Jun 25, 11:13 am, wmc <...> wrote:
    > RuthG wrote:
    > > I'm trying to use the Javascript debugger, but it doesn't seem to
    > > work. I'm using Visual Studio 2008, asp.net, and Internet Explorer 7.
    > > (I usually use Firefox and I can set breakpoints with firebug, but I'm
    > > trying to get the integrated Visual Studio debugger, which I prefer,
    > > to work with my Javascript.) In Visual Studio, under tools - options -
    > > debugging - just-in-time all the boxes are checked to enable
    > > debugging. In IE7, disable Javascript debugging is unchecked (both
    > > boxes). I set a breakpoint in my .aspx source file where I know I will
    > > go (on the first line of my function). I then click the green arrow to
    > > start debugging. It doesn't work. My Javascript code runs but my
    > > breakpoint is ignored. Breakpoints set in my code-behind file work
    > > fine.

    > > According to all the documentation, the debugger should work with my
    > > Javascript. Is there a problem with IE7? Is firebug interfering with
    > > the Visual Studio debugger, even though it's a firefox add-in?

    > I just tried it and it worked with IE7 and VS2008 on a system that also
    > has the latest Firebug in the latest Firefox (default browser). My
    > settings are Internet options > Advanced > Disable Script Debugging
    > (both IE and other) unchecked.
    >
    > Then I opened a test page and chose View > Script Debugger > Break at
    > next statement and it took me right into VS (after a dialog box where I
    > had choose between the different visual studios that are installed).

    OK. I tried the same thing and I can get the debugger to work that
    way, but I would have to go through that every time. It should also
    work if I debug the page, using F5 instead of Ctrl-F5, but it doesn't.
    If I then try View > Script Debugger > Open (Break always gives me
    "There is no source code available for the current location"), I get
    an error from Visual Studio "The source code cannot be displayed."
    RuthG, Jun 25, 2009