    to solve it? )

    Cheers,

    Xander
    Ronald, Nov 18, 2003

  2. Ronald

    Sudsy Guest

    Ronald wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Currently I'm using Eclipse / Jboss / Tomcat to develop my Java web
    > applications. I'm using the JBoss plugin for eclipse. With this plugin
    > I manage quite nicely to debug my application, except for one thing.
    > I just can't get the debugger to let me inspect local variables in a
    > class method. Eclipse just gives me an evaluation error. It allows me
    > to inspect the globals the way I expect.

    Based on what you've written you are trying to access either:
    - class (static) method variables, or
    - class (static) variables

    For the first, when you "Step Into" the class method then the
    variables should be displayed in the "Variables" window. For
    the second case, right click on the upper pane of the "Expressions"
    window and select "Add Java Watch Expression" from the pop-up
    menu. Enter the expression in the form of ClassName.variableName.
    For example, I've got a class called LoginAction (a Struts Action)
    with a class variable called count. My expression becomes
    LoginAction.count. The variable name MUST be qualified by the
    class name.
    BTW, These instructions work as advertised on Eclipse 2.1.2
    running with JBoss 3.2.2.

    HTH
    Sudsy, Nov 18, 2003