    everything seems to check out fine.

    ANy help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thank you, Herb

    =?Utf-8?B?SGVyYg==?=, May 25, 2006

  2. Hi Herb,

    Welcome to the ASPNET newsgroup.

    From your description, I understand that you've installed VS 2003 on your
    XP pro machine and currently you've also installed VS 2005 on it. However,
    you are no longer able to debug ASP.NET application under VS 2003, correct?

    As for the VS 2003's debugging issue, is it occuring right after you
    installed the vs 2005 and is it always working correctly before you install
    the VS 2005? Also, as for VS 2005, can you correctly debug ASP.NET 2.0
    application(host in IIS rather than filesystem based) through VS 2005? If
    the VS 2005 ASP.NET 2.0 debugging works well, I think the problem is
    possibly caused by the IIS website/virtual directory's ASP.NET extension
    mapping. For ASP.NET application, there exists application extension
    mappings in the IIS's website or virtual directory setting. For example,
    those asp.net specific extension (such as .aspx, .ascx, .asmx....) need to
    be handled by aspnet_isapi.dll... However, different ASP.NET version has
    different extension dll, and this will be automatically registered when we
    intall .net framework (or VS IDE). Therefore, after you installed VS 2005,
    the .net framework 2.0 installation has updated the application extension
    mapping in IIS from ASP.NET 1.1 to ASP.NET 2.0. Thus, when you try running
    ASP.NET 1.1 application, it actually run under asp.net 2.0 runtime, and of
    course the VS 2003 IDE (which specific to .net 1.1) will fail to start
    debugging on the ASP.NET 2.0 application process. You can open your IIS
    manager to see whether the default IIS site or your original ASP.NET 1.1
    application is currently configured as ASP.NET 1.1, there has a "ASP.NET"
    tab in the IIS virtual directory's property dialog after you installed .net
    framework 2.0, you can use this to switch the ASP.NET extension mapping
    version for IIS website or application virtual directory.

    Hope this helps.

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Community Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], May 26, 2006

  3. Hey Steven,

    Your suggestion worked like a charm... Thank you very much. My debugging
    features for VS2003 have returned and I have fixed the issue that I was
    trying to debug as well.

    Thanks again for your quick and accurate response.

    Herb

    =?Utf-8?B?SGVyYg==?=, May 26, 2006
  4. You're welcome Herb.

    Glad to be of assistance. Have a nice day!

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], May 29, 2006