Debugging mode failure

Guest

while trying to run this project. I recently loaded VS2005 onto my WinXP Pro
computer. Prior to that I was able to start my VS2003 ASP.NET apps in debug
mode.

When I attempt to do so now, I get "Error while trying to run this project.
Unable to start debugging on the web server.

I've checked all of the items listed in the accompanying help box but
everything seems to check out fine.

ANy help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Herb

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Herb,

Welcome to the ASPNET newsgroup.

From your description, I understand that you've installed VS 2003 on your
XP pro machine and currently you've also installed VS 2005 on it. However,
you are no longer able to debug ASP.NET application under VS 2003, correct?

As for the VS 2003's debugging issue, is it occuring right after you
installed the vs 2005 and is it always working correctly before you install
the VS 2005? Also, as for VS 2005, can you correctly debug ASP.NET 2.0
application(host in IIS rather than filesystem based) through VS 2005? If
the VS 2005 ASP.NET 2.0 debugging works well, I think the problem is
possibly caused by the IIS website/virtual directory's ASP.NET extension
mapping. For ASP.NET application, there exists application extension
mappings in the IIS's website or virtual directory setting. For example,
those asp.net specific extension (such as .aspx, .ascx, .asmx....) need to
be handled by aspnet_isapi.dll... However, different ASP.NET version has
different extension dll, and this will be automatically registered when we
intall .net framework (or VS IDE). Therefore, after you installed VS 2005,
the .net framework 2.0 installation has updated the application extension
mapping in IIS from ASP.NET 1.1 to ASP.NET 2.0. Thus, when you try running
ASP.NET 1.1 application, it actually run under asp.net 2.0 runtime, and of
course the VS 2003 IDE (which specific to .net 1.1) will fail to start
debugging on the ASP.NET 2.0 application process. You can open your IIS
manager to see whether the default IIS site or your original ASP.NET 1.1
application is currently configured as ASP.NET 1.1, there has a "ASP.NET"
tab in the IIS virtual directory's property dialog after you installed .net
framework 2.0, you can use this to switch the ASP.NET extension mapping
version for IIS website or application virtual directory.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Community Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Guest

Hey Steven,

Your suggestion worked like a charm... Thank you very much. My debugging
features for VS2003 have returned and I have fixed the issue that I was
trying to debug as well.

Thanks again for your quick and accurate response.

Herb

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

You're welcome Herb.

Glad to be of assistance. Have a nice day!