Debugging problem "No symbols have been loaded"

Steve Kershaw

I have a debugging/breakpoint problem that I must fix before I move
on!!!

When I set a breakpoint in my ASP.NET (C#) page I get the red circle
with the 'A'. When I mouse over this breakpoint I get one of two
errors:

First error "The breakpoint will not currently be hit. No symbols have
been loaded for this document"

Second error: "The current source file is different than the original
version..... Unclick the Options/Debugging/General Require source
files to exactly match fhe original version." (I did this to no avail)

Also when I try to set a break point in the Page_Load method of a sub-
Default.aspx (in a different directory than the main Default.aspx)
Visual Studios 2005 sends me to the MAIN Default.aspx and sets the
breakpoint there!!!

Strange, very strange...

Can someone help me on this Please!!!!

Thank sooo much.
Steve

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=F6ran_Andersson?=

Steve said:
[...]

You have to compile the application in debug mode to be able to debug it.

Guest

Clear all temporary files from the .net framework directory. ReBuild your
entire application in debug mode. Make sure you are setting break-point on
the actual file and not it's duplicate.

HTH

Steve Kershaw

Clear all temporary files from the .net framework directory. ReBuild your
entire application in debug mode. Make sure you are setting break-point on
the actual file and not it's duplicate.

HTH

I did delete everything in the temporary .NET framework directory and
rebuilt from scratch. I still have problems!

Any suggestions?

Steve

Guest

are you receiving any error message? make sure the debug="true" is set in the
compilation section of web.config.

Steve Kershaw

are you receiving any error message? make sure the debug="true" is set in the
compilation section of web.config.

The error message I get is "this breakpoint will not currently be hit.
The source code is different from the original version." However I
don't know what the original version is?! As far as I know there is
only one version (mine).

The interesting thing is that this web site I'm working on uses a
Response.Redirect("..."); to move to a new web page. It is with THAT
new web page where I have the problem with break points. I also have
problems with hitting break points in my master page.

Guest

i suggest you create another asp.net project from fresh with only one page
and test for debugging. hopefully this should solve the debug issue.

Steve Kershaw

i suggest you create another asp.net project from fresh with only one page
and test for debugging. hopefully this should solve the debug issue.

I found out what the problem was. We have a network with another
server that stores our "My Documents" folder. Every Word or Excell
file we create gets stored there. I went to the Solution/Property
Pages and saw that the output folder where the precompiled version is
stored is on this network server. I just pointed it back to my C:\
drive and everything started working again!

Thanks for your help
Steve