Debugging problem "No symbols have been loaded"

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Steve Kershaw, May 1, 2007.

  1. I have a debugging/breakpoint problem that I must fix before I move
    on!!!

    When I set a breakpoint in my ASP.NET (C#) page I get the red circle
    with the 'A'. When I mouse over this breakpoint I get one of two
    errors:

    First error "The breakpoint will not currently be hit. No symbols have
    been loaded for this document"

    Second error: "The current source file is different than the original
    version..... Unclick the Options/Debugging/General Require source
    files to exactly match fhe original version." (I did this to no avail)

    Also when I try to set a break point in the Page_Load method of a sub-
    Default.aspx (in a different directory than the main Default.aspx)
    Visual Studios 2005 sends me to the MAIN Default.aspx and sets the
    breakpoint there!!!

    Strange, very strange...

    Can someone help me on this Please!!!!

    Thank sooo much.
    Steve

    Steve Kershaw, May 1, 2007

  2. Steve Kershaw wrote:
    > I have a debugging/breakpoint problem that I must fix before I move
    > on!!!
    >
    > When I set a breakpoint in my ASP.NET (C#) page I get the red circle
    > with the 'A'. When I mouse over this breakpoint I get one of two
    > errors:
    >
    > First error "The breakpoint will not currently be hit. No symbols have
    > been loaded for this document"
    >
    > Second error: "The current source file is different than the original
    > version..... Unclick the Options/Debugging/General Require source
    > files to exactly match fhe original version." (I did this to no avail)
    >
    > Also when I try to set a break point in the Page_Load method of a sub-
    > Default.aspx (in a different directory than the main Default.aspx)
    > Visual Studios 2005 sends me to the MAIN Default.aspx and sets the
    > breakpoint there!!!
    >
    > Strange, very strange...
    >
    > Can someone help me on this Please!!!!
    >
    > Thank sooo much.
    > Steve

    You have to compile the application in debug mode to be able to debug it.

    --
    Göran Andersson
    _____

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=F6ran_Andersson?=, May 1, 2007

  3. Clear all temporary files from the .net framework directory. ReBuild your
    entire application in debug mode. Make sure you are setting break-point on
    the actual file and not it's duplicate.

    HTH

    =?Utf-8?B?VmlqYXk=?=, May 1, 2007
  4. On May 1, 1:54 pm, Vijay <> wrote:
    > Clear all temporary files from the .net framework directory. ReBuild your
    > entire application in debug mode. Make sure you are setting break-point on
    > the actual file and not it's duplicate.
    >
    > HTH

    I did delete everything in the temporary .NET framework directory and
    rebuilt from scratch. I still have problems!

    Any suggestions?

    Steve

    Steve Kershaw, May 2, 2007
  5. are you receiving any error message? make sure the debug="true" is set in the
    compilation section of web.config.

    =?Utf-8?B?VmlqYXk=?=, May 2, 2007
  6. On May 2, 12:06 pm, Vijay <> wrote:
    > are you receiving any error message? make sure the debug="true" is set in the
    > compilation section of web.config.

    The error message I get is "this breakpoint will not currently be hit.
    The source code is different from the original version." However I
    don't know what the original version is?! As far as I know there is
    only one version (mine).

    The interesting thing is that this web site I'm working on uses a
    Response.Redirect("..."); to move to a new web page. It is with THAT
    new web page where I have the problem with break points. I also have
    problems with hitting break points in my master page.

    Steve Kershaw, May 2, 2007
  7. i suggest you create another asp.net project from fresh with only one page
    and test for debugging. hopefully this should solve the debug issue.

    =?Utf-8?B?VmlqYXk=?=, May 2, 2007
  8. On May 2, 3:45 pm, Vijay <> wrote:
    > i suggest you create another asp.net project from fresh with only one page
    > and test for debugging. hopefully this should solve the debug issue.

    I found out what the problem was. We have a network with another
    server that stores our "My Documents" folder. Every Word or Excell
    file we create gets stored there. I went to the Solution/Property
    Pages and saw that the output folder where the precompiled version is
    stored is on this network server. I just pointed it back to my C:\
    drive and everything started working again!

    Thanks for your help
    Steve

    Steve Kershaw, May 3, 2007
  9. You are welcome. Thanks for the update.

    =?Utf-8?B?VmlqYXk=?=, May 3, 2007