Debugging python with c++ extensions under windows with eclipse CDT

Discussion in 'Python' started by peter, May 12, 2005.

  1. peter

    peter Guest

    Hello all,

    I would like to debug my python libraries, written in c++, with GDB
    (gnu debugger)
    I'm using the mingw compiler in a windows environment. As development
    environment I use eclipse with the CDT plugin. This plugin also has a
    nice GUI frontend for the GDB.

    I've already tried several setups, no setup seemed to work.

    Therefore my first question simply is: has anybody already succeeded in
    using the GDB used by eclipse CDT to debug a c++ extension?
    Is this actually the best way to debug DLLs in windows? Is visual
    studio better suited for the job? Is there another option I am not
    aware of?

    thx a lot for reading so far

    Peter

    In the following section I explain in detail what I've already tried.
    It can easily be skipped.

    Ok, an overview of the things I've already done:
    first, to use mingw with the python distribution, I've first followed
    http://sebsauvage.net/python/mingw.html in order to get an adjusted
    libpython23.a Otherwise you cannot use the mingw compiler with python
    under windows

    In order to debug my code, I've found in this newsgroup the topic:
    "Debugging python with C++ extensions"
    and similar I've found
    http://ruby.wag.caltech.edu/Tutorials/double-debugger.html

    I've tried somewhat similar in my eclipse CDT environment:
    I start a python script, which pauses at a point I've inserted:
    >>>a = raw_input("")

    Now I can start the GDB and attach it to this running python process...

    In eclipse this is "right mouse click" > debug > debug > "c/c++ attach
    to local application"
    I create a new configuration of this type, fill in the correct DLL.
    (making sure my binary parser was correct, this is usually the problem
    if you can't find any binaries)

    all this did not same to work...

    I get an error" Cannot access memory at address 0x68f52bcc
    Cannot access memory at address 0x68f52bcc"
    and I no longer understand anything which is going on in the the
    debugger.

    So again the basic question is: has anybody already succeeded in using
    the GDB for debugging python c++ libraries in windows?
    Does this also work when you use the eclipse environment?

    once again, kind regards
    peter, May 12, 2005