Debugging Question...

vbMark

Hello,

I am debugging an ASP.NET application with many pages and classes.

There is a method that I am working on, but I must know what happened just
before this method was called. I am using the "Call Stack" window but I
always end up with it showing "[External Code]" as the previous event.

Yes, I know that external code just happened but what about the 5 other
pages and classes were doing things before this page? Why did the call
stack clear all those out!?!?

Is there a way to see a history of every page, class, and method that gets
called as you are running through your application? This seems like such a
basic, simple, and required thing Visual Studio should provide that I can
just not seem to find.

So, to sum it up, what I need to know is what class of mine was run before
the place I have my breakpoint.

Thanks!!!

Hongye Sun [MSFT]

Hi vbMark,

Thanks for your post. My name is Hongye Sun [MSFT]. It's my pleasure to
work with you on this issue.

For this issue, I would suggest you to use tracing.
1. Using trace point.
Please refer to: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/232dxah7.aspx
"Tracepoints are a new way of using breakpoints. A tracepoint is a
breakpoint with a custom action associated with it. When the tracepoint is
hit, it causes the debugger to perform the specified action instead of (or
in addition to) breaking program execution."
You can use tracepoints for many of the same purposes that you would use
the Trace Class, but without the need to modify your code.

2. ASP.net tracing
In this way, you could see the pages or page events executed before, but
not user code.
ASP.net provides two ways for tracing. One is page tracing, the other is
application tracing.
a. Page tracing
As documented at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/94c55d08(VS.71).aspx
When enabling page tracing, ASP.NET appends performance information and
page events in the page output. You could use the it to check what page
events are executed before.
b. Application tracing
As documented at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/1y89ed7z(VS.71).aspx
When you enable tracing for an entire application in the Web.config file,
trace information is gathered and processed for each page in that
application. You could view all the page has been requested before.

Please try the two solutions and let me know if they work for you. Thanks.

Regards,
Hongye Sun ([email protected], remove 'online.')
Microsoft Online Community Support

(e-mail address removed).

http://support.microsoft.com/select/default.aspx?target=assistance&ln=en-us.

vbMark

(e-mail address removed) ("Hongye Sun [MSFT]") wrote in

[...]

Delighting our customers is our #1 priority. We welcome your comments
and suggestions about how we can improve the support we provide to
you. Please feel free to let my manager know what you think of the
level of service provided. You can send feedback directly to my
manager at: (e-mail address removed).

ns.
Note: The MSDN Managed Newsgroup support offering is for non-urgent
issues where an initial response from the community or a Microsoft
Support Engineer within 1 business day is acceptable. Please note that
each follow up response may take approximately 2 business days as the
support professional working with you may need further investigation
to reach the most efficient resolution. The offering is not
appropriate for situations that require urgent, real-time or
phone-based interactions or complex project analysis and dump analysis
issues. Issues of this nature are best handled working with a
dedicated Microsoft Support Engineer by contacting Microsoft Customer
Support Services (CSS) at
http://support.microsoft.com/select/default.aspx?target=assistance&ln=e
rights.

Good information here. I will play around with this stuff.

Thanks!!

Hongye Sun [MSFT]

You are welcome, vbMark. It's my pleasure to help you.

Have a nice day!