Debugging Question...

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by vbMark, Sep 8, 2008.

  1. vbMark

    vbMark Guest

    Hello,

    I am debugging an ASP.NET application with many pages and classes.

    There is a method that I am working on, but I must know what happened just
    before this method was called. I am using the "Call Stack" window but I
    always end up with it showing "[External Code]" as the previous event.

    Yes, I know that external code just happened but what about the 5 other
    pages and classes were doing things before this page? Why did the call
    stack clear all those out!?!?

    Is there a way to see a history of every page, class, and method that gets
    called as you are running through your application? This seems like such a
    basic, simple, and required thing Visual Studio should provide that I can
    just not seem to find.

    So, to sum it up, what I need to know is what class of mine was run before
    the place I have my breakpoint.

    Thanks!!!

    --
    Only the Best Freeware at http://www.vbmark.com

    vbMark, Sep 8, 2008

  2. Hi vbMark,

    Thanks for your post. My name is Hongye Sun [MSFT]. It's my pleasure to
    work with you on this issue.

    For this issue, I would suggest you to use tracing.
    1. Using trace point.
    Please refer to: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/232dxah7.aspx
    "Tracepoints are a new way of using breakpoints. A tracepoint is a
    breakpoint with a custom action associated with it. When the tracepoint is
    hit, it causes the debugger to perform the specified action instead of (or
    in addition to) breaking program execution."
    You can use tracepoints for many of the same purposes that you would use
    the Trace Class, but without the need to modify your code.

    2. ASP.net tracing
    In this way, you could see the pages or page events executed before, but
    not user code.
    ASP.net provides two ways for tracing. One is page tracing, the other is
    application tracing.
    a. Page tracing
    As documented at
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/94c55d08(VS.71).aspx
    When enabling page tracing, ASP.NET appends performance information and
    page events in the page output. You could use the it to check what page
    events are executed before.
    b. Application tracing
    As documented at
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/1y89ed7z(VS.71).aspx
    When you enable tracing for an entire application in the Web.config file,
    trace information is gathered and processed for each page in that
    application. You could view all the page has been requested before.

    Please try the two solutions and let me know if they work for you. Thanks.

    Regards,
    Hongye Sun (, remove 'online.')
    Microsoft Online Community Support

    .

    http://support.microsoft.com/select/default.aspx?target=assistance&ln=en-us.

    Hongye Sun [MSFT], Sep 9, 2008

  3. vbMark

    vbMark Guest

    ("Hongye Sun [MSFT]") wrote in

> [...]
    > you. Please feel free to let my manager know what you think of the
    > level of service provided. You can send feedback directly to my
    > manager at: .

    > ns.
    > Note: The MSDN Managed Newsgroup support offering is for non-urgent
    > issues where an initial response from the community or a Microsoft
    > Support Engineer within 1 business day is acceptable. Please note that
    > each follow up response may take approximately 2 business days as the
    > support professional working with you may need further investigation
    > to reach the most efficient resolution. The offering is not
    > appropriate for situations that require urgent, real-time or
    > phone-based interactions or complex project analysis and dump analysis
    > issues. Issues of this nature are best handled working with a
    > dedicated Microsoft Support Engineer by contacting Microsoft Customer

    Good information here. I will play around with this stuff.

    Thanks!!

    --
    Only the Best Freeware at http://www.vbmark.com

    vbMark, Sep 9, 2008
  4. You are welcome, vbMark. It's my pleasure to help you.

    Have a nice day!

    Hongye Sun [MSFT], Sep 10, 2008