debugging regexes

Discussion in 'Java' started by Roedy Green, May 30, 2008.

  1. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    I wonder what techniques people use for debugging regexes.

    Some tools I thought would be useful

    1. proofreader to help get \ quoting right.
    http://mindprod.com/project/regexproofreader.html

    2. composer http://mindprod.com/project/regexcomposer.html

    3. some sort of tool when you don't get a match to give you the index
    of the rightmost char that DID match.

    4. a framework when you give your patterns and test strings and it
    tells you which match and which don't. Perhaps it could prune
    strings/patterns to find the best match.

    --

    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary
    Roedy Green, May 30, 2008

  2. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Fri, 30 May 2008 01:19:57 GMT, Roedy Green
    <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted

    see http://mindprod.com/project/regexdebugger.html

    Roedy Green, May 30, 2008

  3. Roedy Green

    voorth Guest

    On May 30, 3:38 am, Roedy Green <>
    wrote:
    > On Fri, 30 May 2008 01:19:57 GMT, Roedy Green
    > <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
    > someone who said :
    >
    > >4. a framework when you give your patterns and test strings and it
    > >tells you which match and which don't. Perhaps it could prune
    > >strings/patterns to find the best match.

    > seehttp://mindprod.com/project/regexdebugger.html
    > --
    >
    > Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    > The Java Glossaryhttp://mindprod.com

    I was pleasantly surprised by this Eclipse plugin:
    http://brosinski.com/regex/

    Does anyone know of comparable plugins for other IDE's ?

    --Henk
    voorth, May 30, 2008
  4. Roedy Green

    Lord Zoltar Guest

    On May 29, 9:19 pm, Roedy Green <>
    wrote:
    > I wonder what techniques people use for debugging regexes.
    >
    > Some tools I thought would be useful
    >
    > 1. proofreader to help get \ quoting right.http://mindprod.com/project/regexproofreader.html
    >
    > 2. composerhttp://mindprod.com/project/regexcomposer.html
    >
    > 3. some sort of tool when you don't get a match to give you the index
    > of the rightmost char that DID match.
    >
    > 4. a framework when you give your patterns and test strings and it
    > tells you which match and which don't.  Perhaps it could prune
    > strings/patterns to find the best match.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    > The Java Glossaryhttp://mindprod.com

    Personally, I prefer Expresso: http://www.ultrapico.com/Expresso.htm
    It's a Windows-only app though. I do remember that KDE also shipped
    with a regex tool, of similar capabilities. I don't know what's out
    there for OS X, but I'm sure there's something out there.
    Lord Zoltar, May 30, 2008
  5. Roedy Green

    GK Guest