debugging regexes

Roedy Green

I wonder what techniques people use for debugging regexes.

Some tools I thought would be useful

1. proofreader to help get \ quoting right.
http://mindprod.com/project/regexproofreader.html

2. composer http://mindprod.com/project/regexcomposer.html

3. some sort of tool when you don't get a match to give you the index
of the rightmost char that DID match.

4. a framework when you give your patterns and test strings and it
tells you which match and which don't. Perhaps it could prune
strings/patterns to find the best match.

Lord Zoltar

I wonder what techniques people use for debugging regexes.

Some tools I thought would be useful

1. proofreader to help get \ quoting right.http://mindprod.com/project/regexproofreader.html

2. composerhttp://mindprod.com/project/regexcomposer.html

3. some sort of tool when you don't get a match to give you the index
of the rightmost char that DID match.

4. a framework when you give your patterns and test strings and it
tells you which match and which don't.  Perhaps it could prune
strings/patterns to find the best match.

Personally, I prefer Expresso: http://www.ultrapico.com/Expresso.htm
It's a Windows-only app though. I do remember that KDE also shipped
with a regex tool, of similar capabilities. I don't know what's out
there for OS X, but I'm sure there's something out there.