debugging Ruby - where to find the big picture?

wsdngatgoogle

Hi,

I know, Ruby has a debug option and a debugger, which means that I am
able to debug the Ruby source part of my programs. If the interpreter
itself fails, I find myself in the situation that I need to debug a C
program. If I use a widget kit like wxRuby or FXRuby things get even
more complicated.

Next thing that makes debugging difficult are the different platforms.
Is my Ruby version compiled with debugging symbols enabled? How do I
get a core dump of a failing Ruby program on Windows 2000? Which
debugger is suitable?

You see, I want to be able to track errors even if 'select is broken'
and I am looking for a comprehensive documentation on this topic.

These problems aren't bound to Ruby, nevertheless I'd like to discuss
them within the Ruby community.

Cheers,
Sascha