Debugging Ruby

Bharat Ruparel

I am starting chapter 13 or Programming Ruby trying to debug the
following factorial program (in file t.rb) on page 163:

def fact(n)
if n <= 0
1
else
n * fact(n -1)
end
end

p fact(5)

When I run the command:
ruby -r debug t.rb
Instead of the debugger loading t.rb program, it loads something else
and displays the following output:

C:\RubyPrograms\PickAxeBook>ruby -r debug t.rb
Debug.rb
Emacs support available.

c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/ubygems.rb:10:require 'rubygems'

I am not sure what is happening here. Please note that I am on Windows
XP machine. When I try to list by typing list 1-9, the following output
is displayed. I may have messed up the ruby path loader since I was
messing with it. Why did it persist across the sessions though?

(rdb:1) list 1-9
[1, 9] in c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/ubygems.rb
1 # This file allows for the running of rubygems with a nice
2 # command line look-and-feel: ruby -rubygems foo.rb
3 #--
4 # Copyright 2006 by Chad Fowler, Rich Kilmer, Jim Weirich and
others.
5 # All rights reserved.
6 # See LICENSE.txt for permissions.

This totally perplexes me. Help!!!
Bharat

Bharat Ruparel

This is getting stranger! I rebooted in Fedora Core 5 Linux (I have a
dual boot machine). Copied the same program from Windows partition and
ran it in Linux. Works perfect!

Any clues on how to troubleshoot on Windows side?
Thanks in advance.
Bharat

Peña, Botp

T24gQmVoYWxmIE9mIEJoYXJhdCBSdXBhcmVsOg0KIyBBbnkgY2x1ZXMgb24gaG93IHRvIHRyb3Vi
bGVzaG9vdCBvbiBXaW5kb3dzIHNpZGU/DQoNCnNldCBSVUJZT1BUPQ0KDQpraW5kIHJlZ2FyZHMg
LWJvdHANCg==