Debugging Threads

Robert Klemme

Hi all,

people have problems debugging threads. What do others think about,
setting abort_on_exception to true if ruby's command line option -d is
set? That would terminate the whole process if there is an exception in a
thread, which some regard helpful.

What do others think?

robert

ts

R> people have problems debugging threads. What do others think about,
R> setting abort_on_exception to true if ruby's command line option -d is
R> set? That would terminate the whole process if there is an exception in a
R> thread, which some regard helpful.

This is a good idea, and because it's a good idea it's already implemented

svg% ruby -e 'Thread.new { a + 1 }'
svg%

svg% ruby -de 'Thread.new { a + 1 }'
Exception `NameError' at -e:1 - undefined local variable or method `a' for main:Object
-e:1: undefined local variable or method `a' for main:Object (NameError)
from -e:1:in `initialize'
from -e:1:in `new'
from -e:1
svg%