debugging with eclipse

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Nix Nutz, Jan 21, 2007.

  1. Nix Nutz

    Nix Nutz Guest

    Hi,

    I have installed ruby1.8.4 and ruby1.8.5 "All in One" Packs with
    easyeclipse and and radrails on windows and linux in any combination :D,
    but i have allways the same problem:

    The Debugging from eclipse with breakpoints dosen't work for me... :(

    It was allways possible to run the HelloWorld Code, but if i start
    debugging with or without a breakpoint in eclipse, the IDE just hangs
    with

    ruby 1.8.5 debugger listens on ....

    ... and waits for now and ever...until i terminate it.

    It seems that it waits for a CMD or just a spin off, but nothing
    happens.

    The

    ruby -r debug HelloWorld.rb

    works with all Combos, but for me it is comfortable to set a brakepoint
    while codeing und firing the debugger to switch to the point.

    Maybe "breakpointer" is an alternative (the only)?

    Thx for help...bearing my poor english
    greetings
    mr.potato

    Nix Nutz, Jan 21, 2007

  2. Nix Nutz

    Nix Nutz Guest

    hmm, Am I the only one who wants to use eclipse with debugging or the
    only one with this problem :D

    ...Can't belief because I just use it with defaults like this:

    http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/HowtoDebugWithBreakpoint/versions/53

    k, I am new to ruby (comeing form PHP) and want to complete my tool
    kit, before start working on real projects.

    My experience for PHP projects are, that later, if the project grows
    over many files a Debugger with breakpoints saves much time and nerves.

    What are your opinions?
    What are your favorite Editor ( and why )
    What are your tools, to avoid stalled development, while seareching a
    bug with
    "puts" and so on...

    so long, thx and greetings
    -mr.potato

    Nix Nutz, Jan 22, 2007

  3. Nix Nutz

    Nix Nutz Guest

    In addition is there an good howto, to start the "remote" debugger from
    a console and the necessary Protocol?

    Nix Nutz, Jan 22, 2007
  4. Nix Nutz wrote:
    > In addition is there an good howto, to start the "remote" debugger from
    > a console and the necessary Protocol?

    Anyone got a handle on this issue?

    I launch debugger in Ruby eclipse. I have ruby-debug-0.10.3 and
    ruby-debug-base-0.10.3-x86-mswin32 gems installed.
    This message appears:
    'ruby 1.8.6 debugger listens on port 4985'
    but then nothing seems to be happening - ruby thread shows as having
    started but the application doesn't kick off.

    I try to start the debugger again and again; suddenly after a very long
    time (5-10 minutes usually but can be much longer) the application
    starts. After that has happened a number of the dormant threads take off
    together.

    How do I tell if debugger is installed correctly?
    What is blocking execution of the debugger?

    These are the Eclipse plugins I have installed:
    com.aptana.rdt.libraries.win32_1.0.1.jar
    com.aptana.rdt.libraries_1.0.6.jar
    com.aptana.rdt.rake_1.2.0.21672.jar
    com.aptana.rdt.ui_1.2.0.21672.jar
    org.rubypeople.rdt.branding_1.2.0.21672.jar
    org.rubypeople.rdt.core_1.2.0.21672.jar
    org.rubypeople.rdt.debug.core_1.2.0.21672.jar
    org.rubypeople.rdt.debug.ui_1.2.0.21672.jar
    org.rubypeople.rdt.launching_1.2.0.21672.jar
    org.rubypeople.rdt.refactoring_1.2.0.21672.jar
    org.rubypeople.rdt.testunit_1.2.0.21672.jar
    org.rubypeople.rdt.ui_1.2.0.21672.jar

    David

    David Schulberg, Nov 3, 2009