Debugging Woes (Part II)

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Tyrant Mikey, Jan 25, 2005.

  1. Tyrant Mikey

    Tyrant Mikey Guest

    New oddness in debugging ASP.NET Web applications.

    (First off, I'm using VS.NET 2k3 to write an ASP.NET Web application in
    Visual Basic .NET.)

    I have a base class, which derives from System.Web.UI.WebForm. That
    class contains a number of methods that I want to use on virtually all
    of my pages. I have a break point set in one of the routines, named
    ShowAlert().

    When I run the application, the debugger stops on the next line in
    ShowAlert after the breakpoint, with half of the line highlighted.
    Analyzing the call stack shows that it is calling a different function
    (ValidateAuthentication()) in the same file, but the line number
    indicates that it's the line where my breakpoint is set, within the
    ShowAlert method.

    This has me completely baffled. It's the SECOND time I've run into this
    today. Before today, I'd never seen it.

    Any takers?

    Thanks!!

    Tyrant Mikey, Jan 25, 2005

  2. take down the application, rebuild it. delete the pdb files. reboot and try
    again. Your pdb files are out of sync with the executable code.

    --
    Regards,
    Alvin Bruney

    Alvin Bruney [MVP], Jan 26, 2005

  3. Tyrant Mikey

    Tyrant Mikey Guest

    Thanks very much for the help.

    Recreating the project file turned out to be less work than I expected
    (I had forgotten all about the ability to create a blank project in an
    existing folder). But recreating it worked.

    Again, thanks much!

    Tyrant Mikey, Jan 26, 2005