debuging on remote machine

Brian Henry

Hi,

We have a Dual Intel Xeon web server which we do development on, is there
any way that we could debug our websites remotely on that server (its on the
same internal LAN), it seems stupid to have to copy it locally to work on
and debug it just to place it right back on the server... especially when
many people are developing it simultaneously thanks

Davide Vernole [MVP]

Brian Henry said:
Hi,

We have a Dual Intel Xeon web server which we do development on, is
there any way that we could debug our websites remotely on that
server (its on the same internal LAN), it seems stupid to have to
copy it locally to work on and debug it just to place it right back
on the server... especially when many people are developing it
simultaneously thanks

You could install the necessary application from the Visual Studio Setup CD.
But your choice has a limitation: only one person at time can debug your web
application.

Since the Visual Studio .NET was released, the approach to develop in a team
is changed. Now, the right way that you have to use is:

- Install a Visual Source Safe (VSS) Server (to share the source code with
the other developer)
- Install the VSS client in each developer PC
- Link your project, in Visual Studio, to the corresponding project in VSS
- Develop e debug (this can be done from any developer in the team
concurrently)
- Compile it in release mode and deploy it in the staging or production
server.

For more info see this link:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnbda/html/tdlg_ch2.asp

Brian Henry

hi, what are the "nesecary applications" that need installed on the server
for remote debugging? thanks