Decentralized web site: Realistic?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by (Pete Cresswell), Dec 4, 2004.

  1. I want to put up a web site for my high school class.

    Minimal traffic expected, but the heavy hitters will be photographs.

    Kneejerk reaction was to solicit money and open up an account with some provider
    or another.

    However I see ongoing hassles there. Mainly around the relentless nature of
    monthly charges. e.g. Classmate Smith gives me fifty bucks today, and then
    can't understand why I want even *more* money three years from now.

    Meanwhile, it's just dawned on me that all the material does not have to be in
    the same place.

    I've got fifty megs available to me as part of my email provider's package.
    My guess is that the text-only portion of almost any system I can conceive of
    will fit in less than half of that.

    I'm thinking I could solicit web space donations from classmates instead of
    money and store graphics here and there. Biggest hurdles would appear to be
    entrusting UserIDs/PWs to me and the inevitable changing of same without
    notifying me.

    However I'd guess that the major providers like AOL and Earthlink have
    Add/Change/Delete access to their users' web spaces integrated with their
    proprietary UI's and not accessible via FTP utilities like CuteFTP. True?

    Bottom lines:

    - Is the separation of graphics and text realistic?

    - Given a distributed model, are there alternatives free-space-wise?

    --
    PeteCresswell

    (Pete Cresswell), Dec 4, 2004

  2. (Pete Cresswell)

    Dylan Parry Guest

    (Pete Cresswell) wrote:

    > - Is the separation of graphics and text realistic?

    You are likely to find it a maintenance nightmare, and even then a lot
    of free hosting providers do not allow you to host images on your site
    and include them on pages on other sites.

    Besides, it wouldn't be that expensive to host a site anyway. You are
    very unlikely, for your type of site, to need more than 50-100Mb of
    space, and this you can get for peanuts. I'd recommend Affordable Host
    (http://www.affordablehost.com/cpanel.shtml) with the Single X or Single
    A plans.

    --
    Dylan Parry

    Dylan Parry, Dec 4, 2004

  3. (Pete Cresswell)

    Neal Guest

    On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 15:43:59 GMT, (Pete Cresswell) <> wrote:

    > I want to put up a web site for my high school class.
    >
    > Minimal traffic expected, but the heavy hitters will be photographs.
    >
    > Kneejerk reaction was to solicit money and open up an account with some
    > provider
    > or another.

    Have you checked with the school district to see if server space is
    available? If it's being used as part of your curriculum, the school's
    system may be able to host it.

    I don't know where you are posting from, but in the US there are all sorts
    of grants for utilizing technology, and perhaps your district's technology
    coordinator can help the class set something up.

    Neal, Dec 4, 2004
  4. RE/
    >You are
    >very unlikely, for your type of site, to need more than 50-100Mb of
    >space, and this you can get for peanuts. I'd recommend Affordable Host
    >(http://www.affordablehost.com/cpanel.shtml) with the Single X or Single
    >A plans.

    I like it - especially the spacing of the feature sets/prices.

    $72 per year for the 200-meg/PHP/MySQL DB I can rationalize just on the basis of
    having a playpen for myself.....and the high school class site as the primary
    toy.

    --
    PeteCresswell

    (Pete Cresswell), Dec 4, 2004
  5. RE/
    >Have you checked with the school district to see if server space is
    >available? If it's being used as part of your curriculum, the school's
    >system may be able to host it.
    >
    >I don't know where you are posting from, but in the US there are all sorts
    >of grants for utilizing technology, and perhaps your district's technology
    >coordinator can help the class set something up.

    This class has been out of high school for a looooong time...part of the web
    site will be "In Memoriam"....and it won't be just one or two people....

    I'll give the district a call, but conversations with a guy who used to be their
    one-and-only DP guy haven't been encouraging - they've outsourced 100% of their
    work.
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (Pete Cresswell), Dec 4, 2004
  6. RE/
    > with the Single X or Single
    >A plans.

    Wanting to start with an "X" account and then move to a paying account if/when
    things look like they're working out; I'm reading the provider's web pages...but
    am not clear on domain registration.

    I've already got my domain registered with InterNic and am paid up for the next
    five years or so.

    Is there any danger of AffordableHost somehow taking over the registration and
    billing me for that? Seems like they have to make money somehow....
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (Pete Cresswell), Dec 4, 2004
  7. (Pete Cresswell)

    Dylan Parry Guest

    (Pete Cresswell) wrote:

    > Is there any danger of AffordableHost somehow taking over the registration and
    > billing me for that? Seems like they have to make money somehow....

    No danger of that. Just point your domain to the Affordable Host name
    servers when you've registered an account; you won't have to change your
    registrar. Tina, who runs the company, is a regular in this newsgroup.

    --
    Dylan Parry

    Dylan Parry, Dec 4, 2004
  8. RE/
    >Tina, who runs the company, is a regular in this newsgroup.

    Excellant!
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (Pete Cresswell), Dec 5, 2004