    thanks in advance.

    --
    charlie
    Charlie Garrett-Jones, Jan 20, 2006

  2. Charlie Garrett-Jones

    McKirahan Guest

    "Charlie Garrett-Jones" <> wrote in message
    > i have a server side generated web application that provides parameter

    forms
    > and always opens the associated reports in a new browser window. the code
    > that controls the opening of the new browser window is simply html
    > target='_blank'. but now there is some business rules that may be checked
    > server side only. so if the data provided fails, i want the same target
    > window as the parameter form and if it passes i want a new window.
    >
    > can anyone provide me with some clues as to the best method of doing this?
    >
    > thanks in advance.

    Does the window of the parameter form have a name?

    You can assign a name to the target and use it repeatedly.

    For example, target="Report" (and target="Form").
    McKirahan, Jan 20, 2006

  3. thanks for the reply,

    but this would be for one window writting to another, correct? i want to be
    able to write to the parameter window or a open a new window and decide this
    server side. is javascript the way to go here?

    charlie garrett-jones

    Charlie Garrett-Jones, Jan 22, 2006
  4. Charlie Garrett-Jones

    McKirahan, Jan 22, 2006
  5. Charlie Garrett-Jones

    McKirahan Guest

    "Charlie Garrett-Jones" <> wrote in message
    > thanks for the reply,
    >
    > but this would be for one window writting to another, correct? i want to

    be
    > able to write to the parameter window or a open a new window and decide

    this
    > server side. is javascript the way to go here?
    >
    > charlie garrett-jones
    >
    > > "Charlie Garrett-Jones" <> wrote in message
    > >> i have a server side generated web application that provides parameter

    > > forms
    > >> and always opens the associated reports in a new browser window. the

    code
    > >> that controls the opening of the new browser window is simply html
    > >> target='_blank'. but now there is some business rules that may be

    checked
    > >> server side only. so if the data provided fails, i want the same target
    > >> window as the parameter form and if it passes i want a new window.
    > >>
    > >> can anyone provide me with some clues as to the best method of doing
    > >> this?
    > >>
    > >> thanks in advance.

    Sorry but I don't really understand what your trying to do.

    What is a "parameter window" or "parameter forms"?

    Perhaps you want Server.Execute() or Server.Transfer()

    The New ASP 3.0 Server Methods

    "The Server.Execute method is a new ASP method, introduced with IIS 5.0 for
    a first time. You can execute a child ASP page with the Server.Execute and
    treat the child ASP page as part of the main page."
  6. thanks again for the response.

    the "parameter window" and the "parameter form" are the same window.

    essentially, i would like to know whether there is some html or header that
    i can manipulate serverside to either populated the calling browser window
    or open a new window and populate that. no asp here.

    thanks in advance.

    charlie garrett-jones

    Charlie Garrett-Jones, Jan 23, 2006
  7. Charlie Garrett-Jones

    > thanks again for the response.
    >
    > the "parameter window" and the "parameter form" are the same window.
    >
    > essentially, i would like to know whether there is some html or header

    that
    > i can manipulate serverside to either populated the calling browser window
    > or open a new window and populate that. no asp here.
    >
    > thanks in advance.

    [snip]

    You might also look into AJAX:
    Asynchronous JavaScript and XML.

    Google it for more info.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AJAX
    "Asynchronous JavaScript And XML, or its acronym Ajax, is a Web development
    technique for creating interactive web applications. "
    McKirahan, Jan 23, 2006