Decoding a process output

Francis Moreau

Hi,

In my understanding (I'm relatively new to python), I need to decode any
bytes data provided, in my case, by a shell command (such as findmnt)
started by the subprocess module. The goal of my application is to parse
the command outputs.

My application runs only on linux BTW and should run fine on both python
2.7 and py3k.

My question is when decoding the output bytes data of the external
command, which encoding should I use ?

Should I guess the encoding by inspecting LANG or any LC_* environment
variables ?

Should I force one of those environment variable to a specific value
before running my external command ?

Thanks for any tips.