    broken. I don't want the parent to be aware of the child and
    vice-versa.

    I don't want to close the parent or any of the children either.
    epaetz, Jul 19, 2006

  2. epaetz

    web.dev Guest

    epaetz wrote:
    > Is there a way to decouple the linkage between a parent and a child
    > window?

    When you open a new window, there is no parent-child relationship
    between the browser windows in a sense.

    > Does the parent window have any sort of a collection that holds all the
    > children that it has spawned?

    Not a collection. However, when you open a new window, the
    window.open() method will return a reference to the window that you've
    opened.

    "Child" windows know who opened them through window.opener property.

    > I want to break that connection from the parent side or the child
    > side, it doesn't matter as long as the communication link is completely
    > broken. I don't want the parent to be aware of the child and
    > vice-versa.
    >
    > I don't want to close the parent or any of the children either.

    When you close the parent window, none of the "child" windows will
    close and vice-versa.
    web.dev, Jul 19, 2006

  3. epaetz

    epaetz Guest

    Here's the behavior I'm observing.

    I have two web applications. Each one uses a browser session cookie on
    the client's browser window.

    I created a simple portal page that has a link to each of the two apps.
    When you click on either link, it opens the respective app in a popup.

    When I open the first app, I can use the app normally. I then open the
    second app which also works normally. But when I attempt to use the
    first app, it appears to have lost it's session cookie, or as I
    suspect, it's session cookie has been replaced with the session cookie
    from the 2nd popup.

    Why do I suspect this? If I close all the open session, and reopen the
    portal and click on the first application, I can copy the URL from the
    first application and paste it into the url of the parent and then have
    complete access to the first application. It appears that the parent
    window also gets session cookie of the popup!

    Is this normal behavior for children and parent windows?

    Thanks,

    epaetz, Jul 24, 2006