deducing the return type of a function call...

James

I am struggling to find a way to get around having to explicitly pass a
return type for the following callback scheme I am playing around with. Here
is some sample code:

#include <iostream>

template<typename T_return>
struct call_base
{
virtual T_return execute() const = 0;
};

template<typename T,
typename T_memfun,
typename T_return>
class call1
: public call_base<T_return>
{
T& m_object;
T_memfun m_memfun;

T_return execute() const
{
return (m_object.*m_memfun)();
}

public:
call1(T& object, T_memfun memfun)
: m_object(object),
m_memfun(memfun)

};

template<typename T,
typename T_memfun>
class call1<T, T_memfun, void>
: public call_base<void>
{
T& m_object;
T_memfun m_memfun;

void execute() const
{
(m_object.*m_memfun)();
}

public:
call1(T& object, T_memfun memfun)
: m_object(object),
m_memfun(memfun)

};

template<typename T_return>
struct call
{
typedef call_base<T_return> const& handle;

template<typename T, typename T_memfun>
static call1<T, T_memfun, T_return>
create(T& obj, T_memfun memfun)
{
return call1<T, T_memfun, T_return>(obj, memfun);
}
};

#define CALL_CREATE(name, return_type, type, memfun) \
call<return_type>::handle name = \
call<return_type>::create((type), (memfun))

struct foo
{
int display1()
{
std::cout << "("
<< this
<< ")->foo::display1()"
<< std::endl;

return 123456;
}

void display2()
{
std::cout << "("
<< this
<< ")->foo::display2()"
<< std::endl;
}
};

int
main()
foo f;

CALL_CREATE(my_call1, int, f, &foo::display1);
CALL_CREATE(my_call2, void, f, &foo::display2);

std::cout << "my_call1 returned: "
<< my_call1.execute()
<< std::endl
<< std::endl;

std::cout << "my_call2 returns void"
<< std::endl;

my_call2.execute();
}

return 0;
}

As you can see, I am explicitly passing in the return type to the
CALL_CREATE function macro. Can anyone think of a way around this? I sure
can't!

:^(

Marcel Müller

James said:
I am struggling to find a way to get around having to explicitly pass a
return type for the following callback scheme I am playing around with.

Well, boost::lambda already failed to solve this problem.

Again you need C++0x. The support for type inference should solve your
problem. (not tested)

Marcel

Alf P. Steinbach

* James:
I am struggling to find a way to get around having to explicitly pass a
return type for the following callback scheme I am playing around with.

Use boost::bind and boost::function.

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf

James

Alf P. Steinbach

* James:
How in the heck does it determine all of those traits? Anyway, I don't
think it would work for me unless I could do something like:

int foo()
{
return 0;
}

void blah()
{
typedef function_traits<foo>::result_type return_type;
}

and have return_type be an int.

AFAICT, that's just not going to work here.

What am I missing?

Difficult to say since you haven't made your design requirements very clear.

But in general you can't portably deduce function result types in C++98 without
"registering" all relevant types first (you can however do that in C++0x).

Anyway, perhaps this helps:

<code>
#include <stdio.h>

template< typename Result >
class AbstractInvokable
{
public:
virtual Result operator()() const = 0;
};

template< typename Result, typename Arg >
class Invokable
: public AbstractInvokable< Result >
{
private:
Arg myArg;
Result (*myF)( Arg );
public:
Invokable( Result f( Arg ), Arg a )
: myArg( a )
, myF( f )
{}

virtual Result operator()() const
{
return myF( myArg );
}
};

template< typename Result, typename Arg >
Invokable< Result, Arg > bind( Result f( Arg ), Arg a )
{
return Invokable< Result, Arg >( f, a );
}

int foo( int x ) { return printf( "f(%d)\n", x ); }
void blah( char const* s ) { printf( "blah(\"%s\")\n", s ); }

int main()
{
AbstractInvokable<int> const& f = bind( foo, 42 );
AbstractInvokable<void> const& b = bind( blah, "whoopie doo!" );

f();
b();
}
</code>

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf

Frank Neuhaus

James said:
How in the heck does it determine all of those traits? Anyway, I don't
think it would work for me unless I could do something like:

int foo()
{
return 0;
}

void blah()
{
typedef function_traits<foo>::result_type return_type;
}

and have return_type be an int.

AFAICT, that's just not going to work here.

What am I missing?

This works for me:

#include <iostream>
#include <boost/type_traits.hpp>
#include <boost/typeof/typeof.hpp>

int foo()
{
return 0;
}

int main()
{
typedef boost::function_traits<BOOST_TYPEOF(foo)>::result_type result_type;
result_type test=5;
std::cout << test << std::endl;

Michael Tsang

James said:
[...]

Use the new function declaration syntax e.g.

template<class t, class u> auto func(const T &t, const U &u) -> decltype(t *
u);

James

Frank Neuhaus said:
This works for me:

#include <iostream>
#include <boost/type_traits.hpp>
#include <boost/typeof/typeof.hpp>

int foo()
{
return 0;
}

int main()
{
typedef boost::function_traits<BOOST_TYPEOF(foo)>::result_type
result_type;
result_type test=5;
std::cout << test << std::endl;
}

Thanks. However, I cannot use Boost.

;^(

Anyway, I got this far:

#include <iostream>

int const& foo()
{
static int const g_state = 123456;

return g_state;
}

template<typename T> struct func;

template<typename T>
struct func<T()>
{
typedef T result_type;
};

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
typedef func<typeof(foo)>::result_type result_type;

result_type x = foo();

std::cout << x << std::endl;

return 0;
}

This works. Unfortunately, it uses a non-portable compiler extension. I
guess I should dig into the source code for BOOST_TYPEOF and try to see how
it maintains portability.

Alf P. Steinbach

* James:
James said:
Frank Neuhaus said:
news:[email protected]... [...]
What am I missing?

This works for me:

#include <iostream>
#include <boost/type_traits.hpp>
#include <boost/typeof/typeof.hpp>

int foo()
{
return 0;
}

int main()
{
typedef boost::function_traits<BOOST_TYPEOF(foo)>::result_type
result_type;
result_type test=5;
std::cout << test << std::endl;
}

Thanks. However, I cannot use Boost.

BTW, how in the heck does Boost get BOOST_TYPEOF to work on MSVC? This
is amazing to me.

As I recall it uses a trick found by a Russian, based on some half-documented
language extension.

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf