    the the virtual directories underneath the main web

    Any assistance to understand this would be appreciated.

    Regards

    Microsoft Newsserver, Sep 25, 2008

  2. If you are working with a default install of IIS, it is unlikely what you
    have done will have any impact on you. If everything is working, I would not
    sweat it. I have the same "issue" (or non-issue) on my server and everything
    has been working for a long time. We reorged the names recently and things
    are still working.

    Where you are likely to get burned by these types of changes are when you
    are using a third party software that gets configured when it is installed
    to a web. Some have to have the UNCPassword. By default, it "should" matter
    all the time, but IIS knows the changes, so it is not an issue.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Subscribe to my blog

    or just read it:

    | Think outside the box! |

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Sep 25, 2008

  3. I just thought of one other potential burn and that is when you are mapping
    to other machines, using UNC. I still think IIS can handle it as long as you
    are not dealing with third party applications that access IIS, but that is
    another thing that could potentially cause problems.

    With a normal, I am creating virtual directories or subwebs, you are not
    likely to have any issues.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Subscribe to my blog

    or just read it:

    | Think outside the box! |
    message news:...

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Sep 25, 2008
  4. Short answer: It protects the UNC path so someone cannot use IIS to
    circumvent security. When it matters is when you are attaching to another
    computer through IIS. If you are not doing this, you will probably do fine
    to ignore the warnings.

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Sep 26, 2008