default equals function?

Discussion in 'Java' started by bob smith, Aug 10, 2012.

  1. bob smith

    bob smith Guest

    From: bob smith <>

    Let's say I have a class like this:

    public class Kern_Pair {
    int letter1, letter2;

    }

    Can someone tell me how the default equals function will behave?

    like

    kernpair1.equals(kernpair2)

    ?

    --- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
    * Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
    --- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

    bob smith, Aug 10, 2012

  2. bob smith

    Jeff Higgins Guest

    To: bob smith
    From: Jeff Higgins <>

    On 08/09/2012 05:58 PM, bob smith wrote:
    > Let's say I have a class like this:
    >
    > public class Kern_Pair {
    > int letter1, letter2;
    >
    > }
    >
    > Can someone tell me how the default equals function will behave?
    >
    > like
    >
    > kernpair1.equals(kernpair2)
    >
    > ?

    <http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/java/IandI/objectclass.html>
    Here is a convenient dashboard to the Oracle Java documentation.
    <http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/>
    You may replace the 7 in the above address with a 3, 4, 5 or 6 to see older
    versions documentation.

    Jeff Higgins, Aug 10, 2012

  3. bob smith

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    To: Jeff Higgins
    From: Arne Vajhoj <>

    On 8/9/2012 6:22 PM, Jeff Higgins wrote:
    > Here is a convenient dashboard to the Oracle Java documentation.
    > <http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/>
    > You may replace the 7 in the above address with a 3, 4, 5 or 6
    > to see older versions documentation.

    And surprising that works (via redirect).

    Surprisingly because Java SE 3 and 4 are J2SE 1.3 and 1.4!

    Someone at Oracle has been smart.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Aug 10, 2012