    navigation can start from there.

    Thank you, to all who reply in anticipation.

    Centaur
    Centaur, Jun 9, 2004

  2. Centaur wrote:

    > In making web pages other than the home page index.htm is there any way of
    > putting code in all the other pages so that if someone enters the site other
    > than by the home page, it automatically opens the home page, so that
    > navigation can start from there.

    Check the referrer, and if it's not your homepage, send them to the
    homepage. This can be done with a setting in the server configuration.

    But I think it's a very bad idea. What problem are you trying to solve?

    Matthias
    Matthias Gutfeldt, Jun 9, 2004

  3. In article <>, Centaur <>
    wrote:

    > Hi all
    >
    > In making web pages other than the home page index.htm is there any way of
    > putting code in all the other pages so that if someone enters the site other
    > than by the home page, it automatically opens the home page, so that
    > navigation can start from there.
    >
    > Thank you, to all who reply in anticipation.
    >
    > Centaur

    Check document.referrer for the home page.
    If not equal then set document.location.href to the home page.

    --
    Dennis Marks
    http://www.dcs-chico.com/~denmarks/

    Dennis M. Marks, Jun 9, 2004
  4. Centaur

    Karl Groves Guest

    "Centaur" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    >
    > In making web pages other than the home page index.htm is there any way of
    > putting code in all the other pages so that if someone enters the site

    other
    > than by the home page, it automatically opens the home page, so that
    > navigation can start from there.

    Why would you want to do that?
    In doing so, you're inconveniencing users who've bookmarked a particular
    page that interested them or who were referred to the page by a friend.

    -Karl
    Karl Groves, Jun 9, 2004
  5. *Dennis M. Marks* wrote:
    > In article <>, Centaur <>
    > wrote:
    >> In making web pages other than the home page index.htm is there any
    >> way of putting code in all the other pages so that if someone enters
    >> the site other than by the home page, it automatically opens the
    >> home page, so that navigation can start from there.

    > Check document.referrer for the home page.
    > If not equal then set document.location.href to the home page.

    Anything involving the optional HTTP referrer like this is going to work
    really badly for those folks with certain browsers, 3rd party software
    and firewalls that are set to not send/block referrers.

    The OPs question is commonly seen in relation to frame-based navigation
    and the issue of users arriving at pages without the navigation frame
    attached. If this is the reason for the redirect then there are
    alternative methods of globally including repetitive blocks. For example
    via server-side includes (SSI).
    --
    Andrew Urquhart
    - FAQ: www.html-faq.com
    Andrew Urquhart, Jun 9, 2004
  6. Centaur

    Centaur Guest

    HI Mattias

    My web site uses frames, however, I notice from the web log, somtimes people
    are entering on pages such as the "Answers" page to FAQ, or even some
    products page. Now people arn't likelt to buy anything if they don't know
    who they are buying form - some people of coarse can look atthe url and
    reduce it to its lowest level ie www.mysite.com, but i was hoping I can save
    people the problem, so long as it does'nt cause me other navigational
    problems. I didnt really want to plague each page withe a "If you arrived on
    this page then click here to star" or similar

    May I ask why iys a bad idea please,

    Best wishes and thank you for replying

    Centaur

    Centaur, Jun 10, 2004
  7. Centaur

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 13:34:21 +1000, Centaur <>
    declared in alt.html:

    > My web site uses frames
    > May I ask why iys a bad idea please,

    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/l_vajzovic/tom/web/frames.html
    http://dorward.me.uk/www/frames/
    http://www.google.com/webmasters/2.html (see under "Your page uses
    frames")

    BTW: Please don't post upside down.

    This will help:

    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Jun 10, 2004
  8. Centaur

    Eric Bohlman Guest

    "Karl Groves" <> wrote in

    > "Centaur" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi all
    >>
    >> In making web pages other than the home page index.htm is there any
    >> way of putting code in all the other pages so that if someone enters
    >> the site

    > other
    >> than by the home page, it automatically opens the home page, so that
    >> navigation can start from there.

    > Why would you want to do that?
    > In doing so, you're inconveniencing users who've bookmarked a
    > particular page that interested them or who were referred to the page
    > by a friend.

    Not just them. You're also virtually guaranteeing that anyone who finds
    you through a search engine will land on your home page, which won't
    contain what they were searching for. And that virtually guarantees that
    the user will go back to the search engine and try somebody else rather
    than trying to search for it on your site. And if they do stick around,
    their trust in you has probably been lowered; after all, sleazy operations
    are well-known for trying to make their sites come up on searches for
    unrelated things.
    Eric Bohlman, Jun 15, 2004